Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Chris Hane <ch...@hane.com> on 2002/08/12 09:55:47 UTC

XMLLayout & Chainsaw

Hopefully this is a quick question.  I'm trying to get Chainsaw to read a
file created with XMLLayout.  I've read the XMLLayout javadoc and have not
been able to figure out exactly what I need to do to modify the output so
that chainsaw will read the file in.  I will admit that I am not an XML expert.

If I have the following in a file called log.xml what do I need to add
around it in order that I can open the file in chainsaw.  Also, I'm using
the latest version of log4j 1.2.6.

<log4j:event logger="com.test" timestamp="1029135031807" level="DEBUG"
thread="main">
<log4j:message><![CDATA[Create new test]]></log4j:message>
<log4j:NDC><![CDATA[I am test 1]]></log4j:NDC>
</log4j:event>

I've tried different variations of the <!DOCTYPE> syntax in the XMLLayout
javadoc but seem to be missing something.  For all of the files I try to
read I get a dialog box poping up in chainsaw saying  "error parsing file -
null".  The expection message thrown is:

[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - load file
called
[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - Need to
load a file
[AWT-EventQueue-0] INFO org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - loading
the contents of C:\Data\CVSHOME\itsolut\dist\log.xml
[AWT-EventQueue-0] WARN org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction - caught an
exception loading the file
java.lang.NullPointerException
         at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:925)
         at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction.loadFile(LoadXMLAction.java:126)
         at
org.apache.log4j.chainsaw.LoadXMLAction.actionPerformed(LoadXMLAction.java:84)
         at
javax.swing.AbstractButton$ForwardActionEvents.actionPerformed(Unknow
<snip/>

Thanks in advance,
Chris....

Re: XMLLayout & Chainsaw

Posted by Chris Hane <ch...@hane.com>.
Figures that I would get it working after asking for help.  Turns out it
was the version of the xml parser.  While chainsaw will startup with
xerces-1.x it will not parse the file.  I tried the XercesJ-2.x (the latest
one) and could not get it to work.  I did get it to work with the crimson
parser - at least the one bundled with tomcat 4.0....

Question, should it work with Xerces 2.x?

Thanks,
Chris....