Posted to dev@vxquery.apache.org by Steven Jacobs <sj...@ucr.edu> on 2013/09/17 19:59:06 UTC

Index test on bigger dataset

I ran a test on one of Preston's real-world data sets (Weather collection)
that had around 40,000 files. I am attaching the results. There are three
graphs.

The first shows the time for returning the entire XML for all 40000 files.
My index algorithm has huge gains over collection, no matter how much of
the data is returned.

The second shows how the two algorithms perform as the number of files
increases. Both linearly increase, but collection has a much higher slope.

The last is just a one-point comparison for returning paths that only exist
in only 100 out of the 40000 files. Once again, index has a huge advantage.

Steven

Re: Index test on bigger dataset

Posted by Michael Carey <mj...@ics.uci.edu>.
And I may be misinterpreting, but - it also sounds like it's not
apples-to-apples in terms of the queries?
(I.e, you are maybe not returning the entirety of the documents?  Or
does the index hold a complete replica of the data?  What is the query,
or queries?)

Cheers,
Mike

Posted by Steven Jacobs <sj...@ucr.edu>.

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steven Jacobs <sj...@ucr.edu>.
I made the changes to my indexing algorithm to receive incrementally the
amount of data that it can handle at a time. This yielded results more like
what we expected. I am attaching the revised graphs. The second and third
graph did not change, as these results were fitting everything at once
originally. They show that index has a huge advantage for returning small
amounts of data.

The first graph shows the negative effect of returning all of the data from
the index. What breaks my algorithm down is the number of times that it
needs to re-fetch from the index. In the case of returning all data from
all 40000 files, it took 32 chunks to perform the operation. An interesting
thing to find out is how the number of chunk fetches correlates to the loss
in advantage over collection. I don't know if I will be able to do a more
thorough examination before summer of code is over, but it is definitely
something to look at in the future.

In any case, indexing will be a poor choice when returning most of the data
from large data sets, but shines when it is fetching a small subset.

Steven

Posted by Michael Carey <mj...@ics.uci.edu>.

Posted by Steven Jacobs <sj...@ucr.edu>.

Posted by Vinayak Borkar <vi...@gmail.com>.