Posted to dev@forrest.apache.org by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org> on 2007/02/15 20:14:16 UTC

Re: upgrade strategies for our packaged Cocoon

On Fri, 2007-01-26 at 09:29 +0100, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> >
> > Thanks for the summary.
> >
> > http://cocoon.zones.apache.org/daisy/cdocs/g1/g1/g2/1258.html
> > Are this the docs you refer to?
> >
> Yes; some of the basic for Spring configuration are described in the
> subprojects section under the cocoon-spring-configurator.

Yeah, I need to play around with Spring for a course I give about J2EE.
I may try to use cocoon as an example.

> >> Please note that the current trunk does not have a CLI anymore!
> >
> > Hmm, meaning we would break forrest with the update, since we heavily
> > depend on the cli. The whole "site" target depends on it.

Meaning before we can think on updating to current cocoon trunk we need
a cli replacement.

> > Carsten, cocoon trunk is running now in Spring, right? I do not know
> > many about spring myself. Does Spring provide a cli? Does cocoon plan to
> > implement one?
> >
> Yes, Cocoon trunk is running in Spring; we have a bridge for Avalon
> components which means that they are defined as Spring beans as well.
>
> Spring does not provide a CLI and *currently* Cocoon does not plan to
> implement one. The main reason for this is that we are moving away from
> our own request/response abstraction and plan to use the servlet api
> directly instead.
>
> I think this topic has been discusses a while ago. Forrest could either
> fire up a jetty and let Forrest/Cocoon run inside a local servlet
> container and use a wget like approach or the CLI needs to be
> reimplemented which shouldn't be too hard as you only have to mock the
> servlet api.

I opened up an Apache Labs for writing a small crawler that can serve as
CLI replacement. On my local hard drive I have a version that is half
finished, will check this into
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/droids/
pretty soon.

All Apache committer have write access there so fell all free to enhance
the upcoming code.

salu2
Open Source Java & XML                consulting, training and solutions

Re: upgrade strategies for our packaged Cocoon

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@apache.org>.
Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 20:14 +0100, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
>> I opened up an Apache Labs for writing a small crawler that can serve as
>> CLI replacement. On my local hard drive I have a version that is half
>> finished, will check this into
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/droids/
>> pretty soon.
>>
>> All Apache committer have write access there so fell all free to enhance
>> the upcoming code.
>
> I have finished a first version of droids and checked it in.

Cool bannanas. When I get the time I'll replace my really crude crawler
in Forrest 2 with Droids.

> Please test and report feedback to labs@labs.apache.org. I will happily
> answer all mails there.

See you there (eventually ;-)

Ross

Re: upgrade strategies for our packaged Cocoon

Posted by Thorsten Scherler <th...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2007-02-15 at 20:14 +0100, Thorsten Scherler wrote:
> I opened up an Apache Labs for writing a small crawler that can serve as
> CLI replacement. On my local hard drive I have a version that is half
> finished, will check this into
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/droids/
> pretty soon.
>
> All Apache committer have write access there so fell all free to enhance
> the upcoming code.

I have finished a first version of droids and checked it in.

Please see http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/labs/droids/README.TXT to get
started.

Please test and report feedback to labs@labs.apache.org. I will happily
answer all mails there.