Posted to user@jmeter.apache.org by "Dale V. Georg" <dg...@amberpoint.com> on 2005/06/02 20:02:48 UTC

Stream Closed When Sending Large Messages with SOAP/XML-RPC

I'm using JMeter to test sending messages to a Web Service that I have
running on WebSphere 6.0.  When I send small messages to the Web Service (1
or 2K in size) everything works fine.  However, when I send larger messages,
I start getting "Stream closed" exceptions.  With a 20K message, the
exception happens maybe 25% of the time -- with a 200K message it happens
100% of the time.

If I deploy the same exact service to Tomcat, I'm able to send the larger
sized messages without any problems.  I'm also able to use another client
program to send large messages to the Web Service on WebSphere.  These two
points seem to indicate that the problem isn't strictly with my service
running on WebSphere, or strictly with JMeter, but somehow the combination
of the two just won't mix.

I'm wondering whether anyone has encountered similar problems before or
might be able to offer some suggestions as to what the problem might be.
It's evident from the full stack trace below that the issue comes when
JMeter tries to read the response back from the server; for some reason, at
that point, the stream seems to have been closed.  I also looked at all the
WebSphere logs, and found no errors or exceptions logged there that might
have indicated a problem that caused WebSphere to close the stream.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dale

java.io.IOException: Stream closed
	at
java.io.BufferedInputStream.ensureOpen(BufferedInputStream.java:120)
	at java.io.BufferedInputStream.read(BufferedInputStream.java:270)
	at java.io.FilterInputStream.read(FilterInputStream.java:90)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler.readResponse(HTTPSampler
.java:263)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSampler.sample(HTTPSampler.java:
496)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBa
se.java:590)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.HTTPSamplerBase.sample(HTTPSamplerBa
se.java:578)
	at
org.apache.jmeter.protocol.http.sampler.SoapSampler.sample(SoapSampler.java:
146)
	at org.apache.jmeter.threads.JMeterThread.run(JMeterThread.java:281)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:534)

Re: Stream Closed When Sending Large Messages with SOAP/XML-RPC

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
Which version of JMeter are you using?

I've had a look at the SoapSampler code in both 2.0.3 and CVS HEAD,
and the sample() method creates a connection and then calls
setPostHeaders.

This sets Content-Length, the HeaderManager data if any - else
Content-type to "text/xml". It then calls setDoOutput(true) on the
connection.

The sample() code then calls super.sample() - i.e. HTTPSampler - which
proceeds to create its _own_ new connection and set that up.

Not sure how it ever manages to work...

S.

Posted by Peter Lin <wo...@gmail.com>.