Posted to dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Michael Schlotfeldt <mj...@max-imp.com> on 2005/10/26 06:47:08 UTC

SVN as Repository

Hello everyone.

The company I work for is creating a content management system (CMS).

We use Subversion (SVN) internally at our offices and would like changes
the customers make through the web interface of the CMS system to be
automatically placed in our SVN repository (by syncing or sharing a
common repository). It seems to make the most sense to follow JCR-170.

Can Jackrabbit use SVN as the repository? Or is there another way to
sync SVN and a jackrabbit repository.

Thanks for you help,
Michael

Re: SVN as Repository

Posted by David Nuescheler <da...@gmail.com>.
hi michael,

> Can Jackrabbit use SVN as the repository? Or is there another way to
> sync SVN and a jackrabbit repository.
personally, i would love to see a svn server implemented on top of jcr.
i think there maybe some minor clashes in the versioning model but
other than that it should not be too much of an effort.

this is probably the other way around from what you had in mind but
should solve the same issues. at the same time it would allow people
to use an svn client to interact with any jcr-compliant content repository.

thoughts?

regards,
david

Re: SVN as Repository

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Michael Schlotfeldt wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> The company I work for is creating a content management system (CMS).
>
> We use Subversion (SVN) internally at our offices and would like
> changes the customers make through the web interface of the CMS system
> to be automatically placed in our SVN repository (by syncing or
> sharing a common repository). It seems to make the most sense to
> follow JCR-170.
>
> Can Jackrabbit use SVN as the repository?

I think there are at least two problems:

- AFAIK Jackrabbit does not pass the path to the persistance manager,
but only the UUID
- Staying in snyc, because I guess you would want people to allow
accessing the SVN server through SVN clients, which would connect
directly and not through a JCR layer

> Or is there another way to sync SVN and a jackrabbit repository.

I guess one could write a simple Import/Export, which would similar as a
dump to the filesystem.

HTH

Michi