Posted to dev@ofbiz.apache.org by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com> on 2014/08/19 15:34:49 UTC

Preparing for the 13.07.01 release

Before I start the process of preparing the release files for the first release of the 13.07 series and call a vote on it I would like to get your feedback on a couple of topics.

Should we backport to it the recent switch to Java 7?
Should we backport to it the recent update to Log4j2?

The main reason I am asking this is that once we release the first release out of 13.07, for sure we will not backport the aforementioned upgrades (because they are not bugs); however the 13.07 releases will stay with us for at least 2 years and it would be nice to do the migration to these new technologies now.

Thanks in advance,

Jacopo

Re: Preparing for the 13.07.01 release

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
BTW about log4j2 https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOG4J2/?selectedTab=com.atlassian.jira.jira-projects-plugin:changelog-panel

Jacques

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Good points.

As a new person, I am still learning about the community and how it works.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
As far as we can tell we don't know how many do run OFBiz from the
unreleased 13.x branch, as we don't have anhy download metrics.

If the release manager of r13.07.01 (Jacopo) feels confident that the risk
of incorporating Java 7 and Log4J2 is minimal, then I would say go ahead.
>From a marketing point of view it would include something relatively new as
the freeze is already a year old.

Best regards,

Pierre Smits

*ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>*
Services & Solutions for Cloud-
Based Manufacturing, Professional
Services and Retail & Trade
http://www.orrtiz.com

Re: Preparing for the 13.07.01 release

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
Inline...

Posted by Ron Wheeler <rw...@artifact-software.com>.
Java 6 is already 8 years old. Java 7 is 3 years old. Java 8 is pretty
new but worth considering if it is not a significant different from the
upgrade to Java 7.

How much work was involved in the switch from 6 to 7.

The difference between versions of Log4j would not seem to be a big
advantage or a big problem. I did this on one of our projects and it was
pretty painless. I also switched from properties to xml and that was a 1
hour project for my simple system.

 From a marketing/project adoption point of view, a product based on an

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.
I'm using trunk for a development and there are no issues with Java7, so IMO we can backport yes
We could wait a bit (few weeks?) for log4j2, there is no hurry to release I guess?

Jacques

Posted by Adrian Crum <ad...@sandglass-software.com>.
I don't have an opinion on this.

The "rule" has been to keep backports restricted to bug fixes only, but
we have a history of backporting various refactorings to make branch
maintenance easier.

 From my perspective, the two things cancel each other out, and I end up

Posted by Anil Patel <an...@hotwaxmedia.com>.
Back porting of Log4j2 is good idea. To understand performance gains, Has anybody in community performed load test on 13.07 release branch? If so, it will be nice to get some statistics.

Regards
Anil Patel

Posted by Jacopo Cappellato <ja...@hotwaxmedia.com>.

Posted by Jacques Le Roux <ja...@les7arts.com>.

Posted by Christian Geisert <ch...@isu-gmbh.de>.

Posted by Ashish Vijaywargiya <vi...@gmail.com>.
Both the additions are good. I must say we can go ahead and provide support
of Java 7 and Log4j2 in Release 13.07.

>> True, that shouldn't affect those considering OFBiz. But sys admins
configure tools to analyze OFBiz logs, and the new format could break those
tools. Keep in mind there may be >> hundreds of production deployments
running on the R13 branch.

I agree that there may be some issues at Sys Admin end due to new log
format. But most of the sys admin guys(More than 10) with whom I met were
smart enough and they can do necessary changes within a short duration of
time. And still if they are having any major issues they can share their
concerns on the mailing list and we can help them.

--
Kind Regards,
Ashish Vijaywargiya