Posted to dev@community.apache.org by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> on 2017/03/29 00:03:43 UTC

Vetoes for New Committers??

Hi,
on https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html#new-committer-process it
describes the process of bringing in a new committer for a "typical
project".

But in the "Discussion" it speaks of "3 +1 and no vetoes"... Is it really
"typical" that projects use vetoes for new committers? I can't recall
seeing that anywhere, not saying it is incorrect, but asking whether it
really is "typical".

Perhaps we should provide links to a handful of well-known project's
processes, to both give a template for projects to work with as well as
different approaches.

Anyone has any opinion on this matter?

Cheers
--
Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer

Re: Vetoes for New Committers??

Posted by Hadrian Zbarcea <hz...@gmail.com>.
I tried to stay away from this thread. Oh, well...

Ted, congrats!

On 04/04/2017 08:18 PM, Ted Dunning wrote:
> Niclas,
>
> I never presented an argument in favor of *using* a veto.  I presented an
> argument in favor of *having* a veto to potentially use.
That was well understood.

> The possibility of a veto encourages consensus building before the decision
> is recorded.
This is also understood, but it sounds to me that you are making Niclas'
point.

> I personally think that vetoes should almost never happen because any
> veto-worthy issue is brought out and resolved in discussion ahead of time.
Because of that, votes that may take place never do, because people
indicate via back channels what their vote will be (tactic I see even at
board level from time to time) and then the vote never takes place and
discussion and the status quo, well, continue. Nothing to report, all good.

Vetoes remove one of the few leverages the minority has, that's my
understanding of what Niclas meant.

That said, the majority has so many other ways to abuse of the minority,
that in my experience the only sane way is to just give up. Which most
do actually, sadly.

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
+1 Ted.  While I have never personally felt the need to issue a veto regarding a personnel promotion,  I have seen others use it, and have on balance agreed with those decisions, including for the exact situation I mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
Niclas,

Posted by Joe Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Running to the board every time there is a lack of consensus about a candidate is not appropriate governance at Apache.  The fact that PMC members are afforded certain RIGHTS, including the right to stop the train on a personnel promotion, is an important aspect of maintaining proper checks and balances within the project itself.
Not to belabor the whole question about the role of diversity in this org, the fact is that once a PMC reaches a size significantly greater than the original crop of developers, conflict happens.  Sometimes it means a single person is not sufficiently aligned with the rest of the team in terms of core values and principles about personnel promotions, and sometimes the group is mired in groupthink and the sole voice of reason can effectively block bad decisions from happening to the project.  Either way, diversity happens, and it's not always universally positive for the collective wellbeing of the group.  At least not in the short run.
But most of the time, it's resolvable to the satisfaction of everyone in the project.  I've never seen a veto issued as a permanent objection to a candidate, 99% of the time the vetoer is simply saying "not yet, IMO".And that "not yet" opinion can stand according to the bylaws of the larger projects all of whom have found constructive ways of restoring the group to consensus decisions about personnel over the full spectrum of time.
On Tuesday, April 4, 2017, 3:59:05 PM EDT, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:That's reassuring, but how does that relate to defaulting to vetoes for
personnel?

Your statement about Board intervening could be said for Joe's/Ted's claim
about "letting the minority be heard" as well... and doesn't support or
undermine the use of vetoes for personnel.

Cheers

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
That borders on FUD.

Op di 4 apr. 2017 om 05:03 schreef Joseph Schaefer
<jo...@yahoo.com.invalid>

> Trust me niclas, you would be singing a very different tune if you
> believed something like that were happening in a project you were working
> on and you were a member of the minority powerless to put a halt to it.
>
> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Mar 29, 2017, at 4:16 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
> >
> > Well, isn't that a weak argument, since said company already have
> majority
> > and with vetoes can also block to loose such majority. If this happens, I
> > would assume that someone in the PMC would bring it to Board's attention
> > look into the matter, as the only course of action against a malevolent
> > company taking control of a project, no matter which voting system you
> > apply.
> >
> > Cheers
> > Niclas
> >
> > On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 1:28 PM, Joseph Schaefer <
> > joe_schaefer@yahoo.com.invalid> wrote:
> >
> >> The downside to majority rule when it comes to personnel voting is that
> it
> >> can lead to a situation where a company having a majority on the pmc can
> >> increase their majority by voting in additional employees without the
> >> minority having any way to provide a check on that exercise of power.
> Yes
> >> this has come up in the past.
> >>
> >> Sent from my iPhone

> https://community.apache.org/newcommitter.html#new-committer-process
> >> it

> really

> > --
> > Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer
> > http://polygene.apache.org - New Energy for Java

Pierre Smits

ORRTIZ.COM <http://www.orrtiz.com>
OFBiz based solutions & services

OFBiz Extensions Marketplace
http://oem.ofbizci.net/oci-2/

Re: Vetoes for New Committers??

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
The segment (see below)t in the request for graduation to the board is a
remnant of an idea that is brought forward by many project in incubation.

> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache NAME PMC be and hereby is
>  tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>  encourage open development and increased participation in the
>  Apache NAME Project; and be it further

It is something that keeps getting in without any consideration regarding
its impact. Not only within the graduating project, but also within the
IPMC or the board. If it is in and ratified through a majority vote (first
by the IPMC, subsequently) by the board  it brings forward 2 actions:

   1.  the newly established must take actions on defining, approving (and
   maintaining), publishing bylaws, and
   2. the board must see to it that it will be done.

In threads elsewhere I have questioned this, and my take-away from postings
by several (ex) board members is that it is of no importance, no need to
follow through, no desire to police.

Seeing that there is no desire among others to address this,I have stopped
bringing this issue forward in (recent) vote-for-graduation requests in
general@incubator.a.o.

Best regards,

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

On 03/29/2017 09:00 AM, Myrle Krantz wrote:
>> Recall at a time, EVERYONE at Apache, and our projects, were fully
>> volunteer with unknown and widely varying cycles of free time. We
>> understood the ebb-and-flow of available time as an unaligned
>> volunteer and based some of our core tenets around that. That's
>> why, for example, merit doesn't expire. We realized that some
>> time you have time, and some time you don't.
>>
>> So we never wanted to "penalize" people who were infrequent or
>> had inconsistent time. Withholding PMC membership simply based
>> on that seems very, very wrong to me.
>
> This depends on what you task the PMC with.  I prefer that a PMC leave
> most rule-making to the committers at large  If the PMC is mostly
> about approving new committers, then I Jim's interpretation makes a
> lot of sense.

I would suggest that if you give that responsibility to the committers
at large, that's an opportunity to invite them all onto the PMC.

http://apachecon.com/ - @apachecon

Re: Vetoes for New Committers??

Posted by Myrle Krantz <my...@apache.org>.
> Recall at a time, EVERYONE at Apache, and our projects, were fully
> volunteer with unknown and widely varying cycles of free time. We
> understood the ebb-and-flow of available time as an unaligned
> volunteer and based some of our core tenets around that. That's
> why, for example, merit doesn't expire. We realized that some
> time you have time, and some time you don't.
>
> So we never wanted to "penalize" people who were infrequent or
> had inconsistent time. Withholding PMC membership simply based
> on that seems very, very wrong to me.

This depends on what you task the PMC with.  I prefer that a PMC leave
most rule-making to the committers at large  If the PMC is mostly
about approving new committers, then I Jim's interpretation makes a
lot of sense.

Greets,
Myrle

Re: Vetoes for New Committers??

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Yes of course!

Sent from my iPhone

Posted by Joseph Schaefer <jo...@yahoo.com.INVALID>.
Let me clarify that.  Each nomination receives comments from other members about their history with the nominee.  Not all comments are positive, but those that are are effectively counted as seconds for the nominee.

The actual vote is by simple majority however.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <or...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.
> On Mar 29, 2017, at 9:45 AM, Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Having the must-have-consensus (or unanimity) approach applied to
> everything doesn't work as it stalls moving forward (or beyond petty
> sentiments).

I'm not saying that majority rule is not a viable method to
run a project. Nor am I saying that consensus is a "nice to
have but we shouldn't worry about it" thing is wrong.

I'm just saying that you can't describe that methodology
as being compliant w/ the spirit of the Apache Way.

Re: Vetoes for New Committers??

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
A call to vote (without or without a preceding discussion) is a means to
achieve a result. Equally so is the Veto-principle regarding code changes,
and the consensus-achieving discussion.

What can be derived from the aforementioned 'Veto?/Veto!' discussion is
that equally alienating/destructive are discussions started where each one
only expresses a stand-in-the ground (I want to have my way, and you must
come about) and nobody works towards an acceptable compromise. Such
discussions tend to linger on... And what is more discussion than
discussions about persons?
It sets a tone that will pop up from time to time. And such doesn't help
regarding bringing diversity in. It tends to lead to strategic nominations
and invitations.

Posted by Jim Jagielski <ji...@jaguNET.com>.

Posted by Pierre Smits <pi...@gmail.com>.
Applying the 'consensus', (or rather the 'every thing must be discussed
first') aspect everywhere is equally tyrranical.

Hence the existence of the simple majority vote (50% of votes cast, + 1
with a min of 3 votes) for procedural matters. And onboarding new
committers, members, officers, etc. is a procedural matter. Unless, of
course, explicitly defined in bylaws.

A -1 is nothing more than an expression of a viewpoint. Without all the
rhetoric!
And it seems to me that all the rhetoric viewpoints brought forward in such
discussion about why a certain (non-privileged) contributor should not be
enabled to do more is also a means to deflect from one own imperfection
and/or distrust towards the other.

As an example of such: recently a discussion was brought forward in
general@incubator.a.o. regarding the Log4cxx project (returning it to the
Logging Services project). As I learned from that thread, it seemed that it
was brought forward as a podling because PMC Members on the Logging project
were incapable of having the faith that contributors would work solely on
code belonging to that part of the repo. But that it was feared that they
would work on other code as well after being invited to get the commit bit.
How pityfull (and in my book how not the Apache Way) that a group of people
voted to have such a group of commited contributors (in a way) expelled
from a project and build a successfull community in the incubator project.
Only to discover that such wouldn't happen and the podling reverting to
project it originated from. What a waste of effort and time of many
involved.

Anyway, the CouchDb variant is equally valuable regarding the principles of
the Apache Software Foundation. And I do hope that projects will adopt them.

Posted by Marvin Humphrey <ma...@rectangular.com>.
On Tue, Mar 28, 2017 at 5:15 PM, John D. Ament <jo...@apache.org> wrote:

> You want
> some form of consensus though through the addition of a committer.  IF
> someone has serious concerns, and is unwilling to change their vote, you
> may want to hold off and monitor a bit further to see when that person
> passes that threshold to become a committer.  You have to have a clear
> understanding through the community though to understand why the person
> voting -1 feels strongly that way, in addition to not scaring the person
> voting into withdrawing their vote - it could be a legitimate issue.
> Though ideally, your discussion thread would flesh something like this out.

+1

Posted by Shane Curcuru <as...@shanecurcuru.org>.
Joan Touzet wrote on 3/28/17 8:34 PM:
> Apache CouchDB does not allow vetos on new committer votes.
> You can read our policy on all vote types here:
>
>     https://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html#types
>
> I encourage all other projects to make public a similar summary of
> their guidelines. This table alone has helped eliminate a LOT of
> confusion when it comes time to voting on our project.

Having project bylaws - even if merely pointing to another project's
bylaws - is an excellent way to ensure everyone knows the ground rules.
It's even in the official board resolution for new projects:

> RESOLVED, that the initial Apache NAME PMC be and hereby is
>  tasked with the creation of a set of bylaws intended to
>  encourage open development and increased participation in the
>  Apache NAME Project; and be it further

Many projects do have bylaws published, but some seem to simply be
copy/paste and might not be... actively used.

But the CouchDB ones look great - and it seems a number of projects have
already copied them.  IT would be a neat project to take those bylaws
and check them someplace as a "here's a sample set of bylaws to start
with" in Incubator land, so podlings have an example.  I bet if it were
simple to promote the docs to new websites, a lot of projects would just
use those.

--

- Shane
  https://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/resources

Re: Vetoes for New Committers??

Posted by Joan Touzet <jo...@lrtw.org>.
Apache CouchDB does not allow vetos on new committer votes.
You can read our policy on all vote types here:

    https://couchdb.apache.org/bylaws.html#types

I encourage all other projects to make public a similar summary of
their guidelines. This table alone has helped eliminate a LOT of
confusion when it comes time to voting on our project.

-Joan

Posted by "John D. Ament" <jo...@apache.org>.
I asked a similar question on another list some time back, around voting in
new committers.  I'm not going to share that thread (public vs private) but
I think the advice i got from it was spot on.  In addition, I've heard
great additional feedback on other threads.

Projects want committers who are infrequent, but able to contribute.  They
want PMC members who are consistent and dedicated to the project.  You want

Posted by Phil Steitz <ph...@gmail.com>.
On 3/29/17 6:32 AM, Bertrand Delacretaz wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 29, 2017 at 2:03 AM, Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org> wrote:
>> ...it speaks of "3 +1 and no vetoes"... Is it really
>> "typical" that projects use vetoes for new committers?...
> I like the "vetoes are only for code commits" rule that
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html defines, at least
> implicitly.
>
> In the case of committer votes, I think a PMC must take objections
> into account even if they are not considered formal vetoes.

+1
I see this as similar to releases.  Technically, releases can move
forward in the presence of -1's; but it rarely happens.  Much better
is to get to consensus on whatever is behind the -1 and agree to
hold on the action or take steps to address the -1.

Phil

Posted by Bertrand Delacretaz <bd...@apache.org>.