Posted to common-user@hadoop.apache.org by Sujit Dhamale <su...@gmail.com> on 2012/01/27 10:15:22 UTC

Best Linux Operating system used for Hadoop

Hi All,
I am new to Hadoop,
Can any one tell me which is the best Linux Operating system used for
installing & running Hadoop. ??
now a day i am using Ubuntu 11.4 and install Hadoop on it but it
crashes number of times .

can some please help me out ???

Kind regards
Sujit Dhamale

Re: Best Linux Operating system used for Hadoop

Posted by Jignesh Patel <ji...@websoft.com>.
For all linux exist- always Redhat and Cent OS are more stable as they are
very conservative to upgrade and enhancement..
And thus they are natural choices for most of the enterprise applications.
But then you might end up upgrading some of the utilities- like in  centOS
5.6 gz utlility is very old (i.e. from 2003) so when I tried to install
software like npm or nodejs I end up upgrading it.

So to your question which one works better with Hadoop - any linux -
dabian, ubuntu, redhat or CENT os etc.

But answers of question like which one is more stable or advance, is what
help you to decide which linux to choose.

-Jignesh

Posted by alo alt <wg...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Masoud <ma...@agape.hanyang.ac.kr>.
Hi,

Posted by Ioan Eugen Stan <st...@gmail.com>.
Pe 27.01.2012 11:15, Sujit Dhamale a scris:
> Hi All,
> I am new to Hadoop,
> Can any one tell me which is the best Linux Operating system used for
> installing&  running Hadoop. ??
> now a day i am using Ubuntu 11.4 and install Hadoop on it but it
> crashes number of times .
>
> can some please help me out ???
>

> Kind regards
> Sujit Dhamale

I think the most important thing you have to keep in mind is who is gong
to administer your cluster. It's important that the administrator is
confortable/experienced with the distribution you are going to use.

As for which distribution to use, you can safely choose from one that
has very good support (community and/or vendor). In no particular order:

- Debian
- Ubuntu LTS.
- RedHad /CentOS (company/ comunity support)

There are a few Hadoop distributions available from companies that you
can check out:

- Mapr
- Cloudera's Hadoop distribution
- Hortonwork (not sure about them providing a Hadoop distribution)

They offer installation instructions on different platforms for their
products. Maybe you can check them out to see if they are good for you.

Cheers,
--
Ioan Eugen Stan
http://ieugen.blogspot.com

Re: Best Linux Operating system used for Hadoop

Posted by Sujit Dhamale <su...@gmail.com>.
Thanks a lot  Alex,
i will install Linux  RHEL today Only .

--Sujit Dhamale