Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by turpentyne <tu...@gmail.com> on 2018/05/12 21:02:31 UTC

Solr 6.6.3 won't start - unrecognized vm option "UseParNewGC" - Java 10.0.1

Running into an issue beyond my experience level.

In Installed and started Solr 7.3. But, then I realized I need to use an
older 6.x version (for Drupal)

So, I installed Solr 6.6.3. But, it will not start.

The message I get is:

**Still not seeing Solr listening on 8983 after 180 seconds!*

*tail: /Applications/solr-6.6.3/server/logs/solr.log: No such file or
directory**

I get the same same result, whether I use *bin/solr start* or *sudo*.

The solr.log is definitely missing. But there is a Solr-8983-console.log.
This shows the message below:

**Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM warning: Option UseConcMarkSweepGC was
deprecated in version 9.0 and will likely be removed in a future release.*

*Unrecognized VM option 'UseParNewGC'*

*Error: Could not create the Java Virtual Machine.*

*Error: A fatal exception has occurred. Program will exit.**

Java -version displays as 10.0.1. This is a work computer with security
needs, and I believe I need to keep it as updated as possible:

**java version "10.0.1" 2018-04-17*

*Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10)*

*Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM 18.3 (build 10.0.1+10, mixed mode)**

Also tried with Solr 6.6.3, 6.6.0 and 5.0.0 with same failure and log
message.

If relevant, I'm on a 2015 macbook pro, using high sierra 10.13.3

Re: Solr 6.6.3 won't start - unrecognized vm option "UseParNewGC" - Java 10.0.1

Posted by turpentyne <tu...@gmail.com>.
I lucked out and found a forum note at Drupal.org regarding a line of code
I can change in the Drupal 8 Solr Search API Schema.xml, and 7.3 will work,
despite their module not technically being set up to work with any 7.x
versions.

I'll stick with that and hope for the best since I'm just testing setups
for now.

thank you!

Posted by Yasufumi Mizoguchi <ya...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexandre Rafalovitch <ar...@gmail.com>.