Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by "Roy T. Fielding" <fi...@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU> on 1995/10/13 02:45:18 UTC

Re: votes for 1.0 candidate

> -1 for p04
>       (Prevent Apache from serving /x/y/z/a as /x/y when z/a doesn't exist)
>
>       I'm prepared to be convinced it's a good idea, but at the moment I
>       don't think it is. It might break well established URLs, so isn't
>       worth the risk.

Any bug fix regarding URLs might break existing URLs.  However, since no
such URLs are known by us to exist, how can they be "well established"?

The question is whether Apache's internal URL namespace -> filename
mapping is doing what the user expects it will do.  In this case, the
answer is no, and thus it is a bug.  Given that extra path info is
not useful for normal files (which, as I recall, is the only change
being made by the patch) and that I have demonstrated that it will
cause problems for spider-generated search engines and maintenance
tools, I'd like to see it fixed before 1.0 -- fixing it later
will only increase the possiblity of idiot URLs.

As it stands, the risk of polluting the URL namespace is much higher
than the risk of breaking some already-broken URLs.

....Roy