Posted to bluesky-dev@incubator.apache.org by chen hecky <he...@gmail.com> on 2008/08/01 13:29:00 UTC

Re: Multiple concerns reviewing BlueSky podling website

Dear all
a, First, I'm sorry that there are some wrong with webpages when we are
updating the page. We will correct them as quickly as possible.

b, Second, I admit the website of Bluesky is based on Tuscany design and
styles. It is a miss for us that we don't  announce copying the design and
styles from Tuscany. At beginning of building website  we have no experience
of the website construction in apache, so someone told us to found
it following the the Tuscany design and styles. So we build the website
following the mode. But the contents of the website is no relation to
Tuscany. In the future, we will update our website constantly, and mybe
change the styles.

c, Third, It is a mistake that "a Google Copyrighted js" is in our
website. We will put right as quickly as possible.

And thanks for  Luciano Resende's attention and suggestions.

Posted by Luciano Resende <lu...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 8:42 AM, bill stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com> wrote:
> Luciano,
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> chen hecky wrote:
>>
>> Dear all
>> a, First, I'm sorry that there are some wrong with webpages when we are
>> updating the page. We will correct them as quickly as possible.
>>
>> b, Second, I admit the website of Bluesky is based on Tuscany design and
>> styles. It is a miss for us that we don't  announce copying the design and
>> styles from Tuscany.
>
> I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with copying the style
> and layout from another ASF project's website, however it is VERY important
> to give credit to the original creators (Tuscany in this case) to prevent
> hurt feelings.  I discourage reusing a project's logo image.  Maybe a
> derivative image is ok... Maybe the correct way to think about this is to
> consider the projects in the Apache Software Foundation as one big family
> and we need to treat members of the family with respect.  Bluesky can pick
> up code, website design, or other artifacts from the other projects, just
> let the project members know before hand what we (Bluesky) plan to do.
>
>> At beginning of building website  we have no experience
>> of the website construction in apache, so someone told us to found
>> it following the the Tuscany design and styles. So we build the website
>> following the mode. But the contents of the website is no relation to
>> Tuscany. In the future, we will update our website constantly, and mybe
>> change the styles.

Let me try to clarify here : I totally agree that there is no issue
with copying the website design and style, it's indeed a recognition
that we did a good job on it :)

My only concern is that when the copy was done, you guys also copied
the Google Analytics javascript code snippet, and then, when people
access BlueSky website, it counts as if people were accessing Tuscany
website. If you check my patch, the only change I'm proposing is to
remove the scripts that is used to track website traffic.

[1] http://people.apache.org/~lresende/bluesky/bluesky-website.patch

--
Luciano Resende
Apache Tuscany Committer