Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net> on 2007/02/01 17:10:49 UTC

[HttpCore] more cleanup

Hi folks,

there's two more little changes I'd like to do in HttpCore
this week-end. Please let me know how you feel about:

- declaring HttpVersion final and Serializable. That
  would bring it on par with java.lang.Integer and
  other stuff that might be put into HttpParams.

- moving DefaultHttpParams to org.apache.http.impl.params.
  The interface is defined in a params subpackage, so
  the implementation should be too.

The first change shouldn't affect anybody, the second
one will require most users to change one import.

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpCore] more cleanup - done

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi folks,

I'm through with the HttpCore cleanups on my list.
HTTPCORE-21 remains open, but that's not cleanup.

I'll be directing my attention back to conn and client.
After the handball world championship final, that is :-)

cheers,
  Roland

Re: [HttpCore] more cleanup

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Sat, 2007-02-03 at 07:24 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi Oleg,
>
> >> Can we reduce HttpStatus to just the status, again final and
> >> maybe serializable, and move the static factory methods to a
> >> Basic/Default/SimpleHttpStatusFactory somewhere in impl?
> >>

> > Could you please put together a patch for this change? It would be a
> > little easier to decide if I had some code to look at
>
> I will. I'll be working through the HttpCore items on my list
> this weekend.
> With all the changes in NIO, we might consider to release
> another HttpCore alpha before HttpClient et al is ready for
> an alpha. I may be able to keep the current pace for another
> 5 weeks max, but that won't be enough to bring it to alpha
> quality. At best we'll have a preliminary API, but without
> sufficient test coverage.

There have been numerous improvements in HttpCore NIO, which we should
release rather sooner than later. I would like to like to resolve
HTTPCORE-26 first, though, and make a few other improvements such better
100-continue handshaking in HttpCore and HttpCore NIO.

We can cut as many releases as we see appropriate. So, we will certainly
cut a new release of HttpCore at the same time with HttpClient 4.0
ALPHA1, be it ALPHA4 or ALPHA34

Cheers

Oleg

Re: [HttpCore] more cleanup

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi Oleg,

Re: [HttpCore] more cleanup

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 2007-02-02 at 18:29 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > there's two more little changes I'd like to do in HttpCore
> > this week-end. Please let me know how you feel about:
> >
> > - declaring HttpVersion final and Serializable. That
> >   would bring it on par with java.lang.Integer and
> >   other stuff that might be put into HttpParams.
>
> It's not quite as little, since BasicHttpVersion is derived
> from HttpVersion. It only adds static methods, so the base
> class can simply be dropped. However, we should find a better
> name for the class now. HttpVersionParser?
>
> I've had a look at HttpStatus... now I feel that could need
> some cleanup too. It has a selection of static methods to
> generate an instance, with many english messages and a comment:
>
>    TODO: Internationalization of reason phrases
>
> Can we reduce HttpStatus to just the status, again final and
> maybe serializable, and move the static factory methods to a
> Basic/Default/SimpleHttpStatusFactory somewhere in impl?
>
> Me and my looks at classes... I should've learned by now :-(
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Hi Roland

Re: [HttpCore] more cleanup

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Hi all,

Re: [HttpCore] more cleanup

Posted by Roland Weber <ht...@dubioso.net>.
Sorry for the late reply...

> Since we are talking cleanups.
>
> I also would like to move the whole org.apache.http.io package to
> org.apache.http.impl.io. I feel none of those classes should be a port
> the public API.
>
> Any major objections to that?

go for it

Re: [HttpCore] more cleanup

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 17:10 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> there's two more little changes I'd like to do in HttpCore
> this week-end. Please let me know how you feel about:
>
> - declaring HttpVersion final and Serializable. That
>   would bring it on par with java.lang.Integer and
>   other stuff that might be put into HttpParams.
>
> - moving DefaultHttpParams to org.apache.http.impl.params.
>   The interface is defined in a params subpackage, so
>   the implementation should be too.
>
> The first change shouldn't affect anybody, the second
> one will require most users to change one import.
>
> cheers,
>   Roland

Roland et al

Re: [HttpCore] more cleanup

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2007-02-01 at 17:10 +0100, Roland Weber wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> there's two more little changes I'd like to do in HttpCore
> this week-end. Please let me know how you feel about:
>
> - declaring HttpVersion final and Serializable. That
>   would bring it on par with java.lang.Integer and
>   other stuff that might be put into HttpParams.
>
> - moving DefaultHttpParams to org.apache.http.impl.params.
>   The interface is defined in a params subpackage, so
>   the implementation should be too.
>
> The first change shouldn't affect anybody, the second
> one will require most users to change one import.

Go for it

Oleg