Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by markwolk <no...@nzst.co.nz> on 2006/06/23 21:50:20 UTC

RE: How to avoid MSGID_DOLLARS, PRIORITY_NO_NAME, RATWARE_OUTLOOK _NONAME

Chris Santerre wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I am by no means a spammer; I
send an average of 40 mails a day, most replies to enquiries and regular
day-to-day correspondence.

Worrying about being mistaken for a spammer is more than watchmaker's
perfectionism when I see that the spam scores of messages I sent from myself
to myself as a test are around 5.8, whereas the default threshold on
Mailsnare is 7. That means my mails (replies to enquiries - not spam!) are
very close to being mistaken for spam - a worrying possibility given that my
average sale is ca $35,000.

I use mailsnare.net and runbox.com services to send and receive my messages.
My domains have a catchall that redirects (forwards) at DNS level
(dnspark.net is my DNS host) all mails to my Mailsnare and Runbox boxes.

I have performed tests sending emails from one of my domains using OE6,
either by Mailsnare or Runbox SMTP, to another of my domains.

Messages received by Mailsnare arrive with the following

 MSGID_DOLLARS, PRIORITY_NO_NAME, RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME, SPF_PASS

Messages received by Runbox arrive with the following

	PRIORITY_NO_NAME autolearn=disabled version=3.0.3

I have also tried to send a message via Mailsnare's webmail interface and it
scored 0:

Also messages sent from my domains directly to my Mailsnare and Runbox
addresses score 0.

So it would seem I have a problem with my Outlook Express or other Explorer
settings, which, when used together with mail forward ("Mail guiding" as
called by DNSPark) trigger these Spamassassin filters. I am not really
willing to swap OE for another client, but I'd prefer to know how to avoid
these potential problems. Any ideas?

Regards,

Mark Wolk
New Zealand Splendeur Tours
http://nzst.co.nz

Sent from the SpamAssassin - Users forum at Nabble.com.

Re: How to avoid MSGID_DOLLARS, PRIORITY_NO_NAME, RATWARE_OUTLOOK _NONAME

Posted by markwolk <no...@nzst.co.nz>.

Michael Monnerie-4 wrote:

> On Samstag, 24. Juni 2006 00:49 markwolk wrote:
>
> There's no X-Mailer header, as said before. You must find out where it
> is deleted. Send me an e-mail directly. And look at e-mails you got
> from others, if any has an "X-Mailer" header.
>
> Also, your e-mail is scanned twice, obviously in and outgoing. For this
> reason, I need your PM to me.
>
> And third, why don't you set the MX of guidedvacation.com directly to
> mailsnare's MX? That would prevent the jump around:

>         by pathfinder.mx.dnspark.net (Postfix) with ESMTP id 927981D704
>         for <<s...@guidedvacation.com>; Fri, 23 Jun 2006 17:38:19
> -0500 (CDT)
>
> mfg zmi
> --
> // Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc    -----      http://it-management.at
> // Tel: 0660/4156531                          .network.your.ideas.
> // PGP Key:        "curl -s http://zmi.at/zmi3.asc | gpg --import"
> // Fingerprint: 44A3 C1EC B71E C71A B4C2  9AA6 C818 847C 55CB A4EE
> // Keyserver: www.keyserver.net                 Key-ID: 0x55CBA4EE

Wow, Michael, many thanks for having examined my email headers in private.
You must be correct; mail forwarding is no longer an option; I will look
into setting the MX record straight into my Mailsnare or other account
(Runbox or Tuffmail are also 2 other good services).

With my reiterated thanks,

Kind regards,

Posted by jdow <jd...@earthlink.net>.
From: "markwolk" <no...@nzst.co.nz>

> Michael Monnerie-4 wrote:
>>
>> So basically only your headers are munged. Could you please show a
>> message you sent yourself with all headers? Can you verify what could
>> destroy/modify your headers?
>
> Hi Michael, Thanks for offering your help. Here is an example of an email
> sent from myself to myself, from <somename>@tours2malaysia.com to
> <somename>@guidedvacation.com using Mailsnare's SMTP and POP. A similar
> result would occur when sending and receiving using Runbox's SMTP and POP.

Look for these headers below:

Notice that the third one is missing. Figure out why it is missing
and you are on your way home.

{^_^}

Posted by markwolk <no...@nzst.co.nz>.

From: "MS Mark Wolk T2M" <<s...@tours2malaysia.com>
To: "1Mark Wolk" <<s...@guidedvacation.com>
Subject: Test Saturday 24 June 2006 - 10:36
Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2006 10:37:07 +1200

Posted by Michael Monnerie <mi...@it-management.at>.
On Freitag, 23. Juni 2006 21:50 markwolk wrote:
> tests=BAYES_00, MSGID_DOLLARS, PRIORITY_NO_NAME,
> RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME, SPF_PASS

I've looked in the rules:
RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME hits (among others) when
no "X-Mailer" header exists.

MSGID_DOLLARS hits when (__OUTLOOK_DOLLARS_MSGID
&& !__HAS_OUTLOOK_IN_MAILER && !__UNUSABLE_MSGID), where
__HAS_OUTLOOK_IN_MAILER again searches the "X-Mailer" header, and hits
because its not there.

PRIORITY_NO_NAME hits when you have X-MSMail-Priority and X-Priority
Headers, and no sign of a standard e-mail client (!__HAS_X_MAILER
&& !__IS_EXCH && !__USER_AGENT && !__X_NEWSREADER).

Posted by Stuart Johnston <st...@ebby.com>.
markwolk wrote:
> Thanks for giving me the benefit of the doubt. I am by no means a spammer; I
> send an average of 40 mails a day, most replies to enquiries and regular
> day-to-day correspondence.
>
> Worrying about being mistaken for a spammer is more than watchmaker's
> perfectionism when I see that the spam scores of messages I sent from myself
> to myself as a test are around 5.8, whereas the default threshold on
> Mailsnare is 7. That means my mails (replies to enquiries - not spam!) are
> very close to being mistaken for spam - a worrying possibility given that my
> average sale is ca $35,000.
>
> I use mailsnare.net and runbox.com services to send and receive my messages.
> My domains have a catchall that redirects (forwards) at DNS level
> (dnspark.net is my DNS host) all mails to my Mailsnare and Runbox boxes.
>
> I have performed tests sending emails from one of my domains using OE6,
> either by Mailsnare or Runbox SMTP, to another of my domains.
>
> Messages received by Mailsnare arrive with the following

>  MSGID_DOLLARS, PRIORITY_NO_NAME, RATWARE_OUTLOOK_NONAME, SPF_PASS
>
> Messages received by Runbox arrive with the following

> 	PRIORITY_NO_NAME autolearn=disabled version=3.0.3
>
> I have also tried to send a message via Mailsnare's webmail interface and it
> scored 0:

> Also messages sent from my domains directly to my Mailsnare and Runbox
> addresses score 0.
>
> So it would seem I have a problem with my Outlook Express or other Explorer
> settings, which, when used together with mail forward ("Mail guiding" as
> called by DNSPark) trigger these Spamassassin filters. I am not really
> willing to swap OE for another client, but I'd prefer to know how to avoid
> these potential problems. Any ideas?

Looks like something is stripping your X-Mailer header.