Posted to community@apache.org by Dan <fr...@gmail.com> on 2011/06/20 06:57:40 UTC

Looking for a complete, integrated, open source, enterprise CRUD sample application with Ajax

This may perhaps seem like a tall order but bear with me here...

Does anyone know where I can get a complete sample application that's really
complete.  I mean as if a real life functioning enterprise the likes of
Google just zipped up their whole open-source production and development
hard drives and made it all available for people to download, unzip, and
run... mysql database, bug tracking system, build system, version control,
connection pooling services, web server, app server, javascript libraries,
internationalization resources, configured IDE, etc. etc.  All of everything
configured and wrapped up in a single installer ready to go with just a few
changes to IP addresses and passwords.  From that we could just change
things to build our own first app.

I've tried getting started with a bunch of different open source application
stacks and I always get stuck.  And every time it happens I wonder why I
can't just copy someone's entire web development drive.  It's open-source
and it's just ones and zeroes.  Why can't we just copy it and skip the setup
process and the time of figuring out best practices on our own?

Thanks for any thoughts about this.  Also if this is the wrong forum for
this question, please direct me to the right one.

Re: Looking for a complete, integrated, open source, enterprise CRUD sample application with Ajax

Posted by Ross Gardler <rg...@opendirective.com>.
Sent from my mobile device (so please excuse typos)

On 20 Jun 2011, at 05:57, Dan <fr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> This may perhaps seem like a tall order but bear with me here...
>
> Does anyone know where I can get a complete sample application that's really complete.

Yes, that's a tall order, especially when you haven't specified a language and what you want it to do.

There are a great many open source applications out there, but if you've really looked but not found then you are probably looking for something specific.

There are projects for ecommerce, CMS, CRM... and pretty much any  function you want. In most cases you will fund different proje ts in different languages. But not here at the ASF, most of our projects are infrastructure and framework projects  (although we do have OfBiz, which is an ERP system).

Rosa

Posted by Ted Husted <hu...@apache.org>.
There's a couple of things being mixed in here.

* Development Environment

* Application Stack

For the development environment, if the project is open source,
there's Google Code, and so forth. There's also all-on-tools like Trac
that you can install on your own server, or subscription cloud-based
environments like JIRA Studio.

For the application stack, Matt Raible used to have something like
what you describe, called AppFuse, but I don't know if he still
maintains it.

* http://raibledesigns.com

Though, my honest advice is that you are looking for all this to be
virtually ready-to-run and supported, then think about going over to
the .NET side, or even something like Ruby on Rails.

You are right in that we are mired in choice, and even a .NET or RoR
environment is a long way from being plug and play. A project like you
describe would be a Good Thing for someone who had the itch, but it
would be a non-trivial project unto itself.

-Ted.

Posted by Dan <fr...@gmail.com>.
Thanks.  Those sound great.

I am very language agnostic.  So I just want to go with the language that
has the most market share for the best reasons and then learn it if I don't
already know it.  My background is Microsoft Access with VBA, so I'm more
than happy to learn something new, just as long as it can keep me employed
on interesting web projects.  It's probably the idea of Access putting an
entire database application into a single file that made me post this
question in the first place.

I have also used Java with semi-proprietary stacks, but that really doesn't
make Java my preference.

This is the first I've heard of Amazon EC2 or VMWare.  The concept sounds
great but my only reservation is that I haven't heard of them until now.
 I'll give the rails installer a shot just because I've heard a lot about
that.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.

Posted by Craig L Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.
Hi Dan,

I don't know if this is what you're looking for, but check out the
olio project that is in the incubator. It's a web application
implemented in several languages and back ends that was put together
as a workload for testing but it might give you a starting point.

Regards,

Craig

On Jun 19, 2011, at 9:57 PM, Dan wrote:

> This may perhaps seem like a tall order but bear with me here...
>
> Does anyone know where I can get a complete sample application
> that's really complete.  I mean as if a real life functioning
> enterprise the likes of Google just zipped up their whole open-
> source production and development hard drives and made it all
> available for people to download, unzip, and run... mysql database,
> bug tracking system, build system, version control, connection
> pooling services, web server, app server, javascript libraries,
> internationalization resources, configured IDE, etc. etc.  All of
> everything configured and wrapped up in a single installer ready to
> go with just a few changes to IP addresses and passwords.  From that
> we could just change things to build our own first app.
>
> I've tried getting started with a bunch of different open source
> application stacks and I always get stuck.  And every time it
> happens I wonder why I can't just copy someone's entire web
> development drive.  It's open-source and it's just ones and zeroes.
> Why can't we just copy it and skip the setup process and the time of
> figuring out best practices on our own?
>
> Thanks for any thoughts about this.  Also if this is the wrong forum
> for this question, please direct me to the right one.

Craig L Russell
Architect, Oracle
http://db.apache.org/jdo
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@oracle.com