Posted to dev@avalon.apache.org by pn...@scancoin.se on 2004/09/12 07:24:56 UTC

[VOTE] Stephen McConnell as a committer

Hi,
I have seen a lot of activity on this list, and received a lot of help from
Steven both here at dev, on the users list and via ICQ, and I believe others

have experienced the same.

Steven seems to be the most active person on this project, but he is
apparently sending in lots of patches that Niclas applies, plus there is a
whole lot in his local copy of Avalon that I don't see around and would like

to get in, as I think everyone else would, too. That would ease the process
of finding things that he has not already done or thought of ;)

I asked Niclas about it and he recommended to start a vote on changing this.

I have heard some stories about politics at Avalon, but being new, ignorant
and only interested in the technical aspect of Merlin/Avalon, I think
Stephen
would be a major asset for the project to activate more, if he wants.

So, the purpose of this vote is to give Stephen McConnell a more active role

in the projects code base by granting him committer status.

[ ] yes
[ ] no
[ ] abstain

Cheers

/peter

Re: [VOTE] Stephen McConnell as a committer

Posted by Alex Karasulu <ao...@bellsouth.net>.
Peter,

All the points you made have merit and I do not refute any of them.

Stephan resigned his committership to defuse a very heated situation.
Since this all happened on the PMC list this is all I shall say.  Right
now its a real PITA for Niclas and others to have to apply these patches
since Steve is by far the most active committer.  However the current
situation is perhaps at best maintained as-is until the board decides
upon Metro.

I would rather see the smooth approval of Metro rather than deal with a
reaction to seeing Stephan commit again: he himself would probably want
the same thing.  If Metro is approved, Steve can be a committer there
where he can maintain and support the community best when isolated from
Avalon.  This keeps attacks and infighting to a minimum.  I cannot
afford another shitstorm as LSD so accurately referred to it:

-1

Alex

Re: [VOTE] Stephen McConnell as a committer

Posted by hammett <ha...@uol.com.br>.
> So, the purpose of this vote is to give Stephen McConnell a more active
role
> in the projects code base by granting him committer status.
>
> [ ] yes
> [ ] no
> [ ] abstain

Everybody knows Steve's techinal skills, this is not the case here. Let's
have more patience and wait for the Metro Proposal. If the metro don't pass,
then we can issue this vote again, under a different light.

Cheers,
hammett

Re: [VOTE] Stephen McConnell as a committer

Posted by Cameron Fieber <cf...@selkirksystems.com>.
On Sat, 2004-09-11 at 22:24, pnb@scancoin.se wrote:
> Hi,
> I have seen a lot of activity on this list, and received a lot of help from
> Steven both here at dev, on the users list and via ICQ, and I believe others
>
> have experienced the same.
>
> Steven seems to be the most active person on this project, but he is
> apparently sending in lots of patches that Niclas applies, plus there is a
> whole lot in his local copy of Avalon that I don't see around and would like
>
> to get in, as I think everyone else would, too. That would ease the process
> of finding things that he has not already done or thought of ;)
>
> I asked Niclas about it and he recommended to start a vote on changing this.
>
> I have heard some stories about politics at Avalon, but being new, ignorant
> and only interested in the technical aspect of Merlin/Avalon, I think
> Stephen
> would be a major asset for the project to activate more, if he wants.
>
> So, the purpose of this vote is to give Stephen McConnell a more active role
>
> in the projects code base by granting him committer status.
>
> [ ] yes
> [ ] no
> [ ] abstain
>

> Cheers
>
> /peter

[X] yes
[ ] no
[ ] abstain

Re: [VOTE] Stephen McConnell as a committer

Posted by Paul Hammant <Pa...@Hammant.org>.
>[ ] yes
>[ ] no
>[ ] abstain

I'm allowed to vote under Apache rules (I commit there I vote), but in
line with my original assurance to only commit to cornerstone etc, I'm
going to abstain.

Traditionally this is represented as a +/-0  :-) rather than  an X in a
box :-)

- Paul

Re: [VOTE] Stephen McConnell as a committer

Posted by Leif Mortenson <le...@tanukisoftware.com>.
Stephen being a smart guy and active developer was not the issue that
let to him resigning
his commit status.   No reason to rehash all of the reasons.   Can we
wait and see what
happens with the "Metro" TLP?   If that is rejected then lets bring this
up again.

This time around, I am -1.

Cheers,
Leif

Posted by Leo Sutic <le...@gmail.com>.
So what happened to the Metro TLP? It was my understanding that Merlin
development would proceed on the Metro TLP, and not here.

-1 from me, since a +1 would mean we would go back to a previous state
of the community - a state that didn't work then, may work now, but
that I have no interest in testing. (And would furthermore be seen as
a breach of the silent agreement reached at the end of the last
shitstorm to hit this community.)

/LS

Posted by Niclas Hedhman <ni...@hedhman.org>.

Posted by J Aaron Farr <fa...@apache.org>.
pnb@scancoin.se wrote:
> I have heard some stories about politics at Avalon, but being new, ignorant
> and only interested in the technical aspect of Merlin/Avalon, I think
> Stephen
> would be a major asset for the project to activate more, if he wants.
> So, the purpose of this vote is to give Stephen McConnell a more active role
> in the projects code base by granting him committer status.

I wanted to give some closure to this vote.

As for myself I agree completely with Leif.  I move that the vote is
tabled and we wait for the Board decision on the Metro TLP which will
occur this Wednesday.  If for some reason the TLP proposal is postponed
or rejected, then we should reopen this vote.

I appreciate Niclas's work in applying the patches for Stephen.  I
applied a few myself early on, but haven't had much time lately.  One
trouble is that since the patches are showing up in the mailing list
instead of JIRA there's no way to know what got patched and what didn't
unless you also watch the SVN commit logs.  So it might be easier if
Stephen used JIRA to submit the patches, that way we could be sure they
get committed.  That's only my suggestion though.  If the mailing list
approach is working, then there's no pressing reason to change.

jaaron