Posted to user@hbase.apache.org by Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com> on 2011/02/17 14:57:30 UTC

Hbase Column Families

Hi,

I am a newbie to Hbase and am testing on a small 3 node cluster running
Hadoop 0.20.2 and Hbase 0.89.

Is there a limit in Hbase on how many versions of a cell one can keep
record of under a given column family?
I understand that each column family can have its own rules but was
wondering if there is a limit.

I suspect that if i store too many versions of the same cell data over
time it can become a potential performance issue within Hbase.

Regards,
Usman

Re: Hbase Column Families

Posted by Stack <st...@duboce.net>.
On Thu, Feb 17, 2011 at 5:57 AM, Usman Waheed <us...@opera.com> wrote:
> I am a newbie to Hbase and am testing on a small 3 node cluster running
> Hadoop 0.20.2 and Hbase 0.89.

Please use 0.90 and an hadoop that supports append.  See
http://hbase.apache.org/notsoquick.html#hadoop

> Is there a limit in Hbase on how many versions of a cell one can keep record
> of under a given column family?

The upper bound is Integer.MAX_VALUE.

> I suspect that if i store too many versions of the same cell data over time
> it can become a potential performance issue within Hbase.

It could but we'll also be adding optimizations to skip cells with
lots of versions.

St.Ack