Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Suhag P Desai <sp...@gnvfc.net> on 2010/07/24 16:35:56 UTC

SA scan internal to external / internal to internal

Hi Mailing List users,

This is my first message in this mail community and I am evaluating SA very
first time.

I have few question in my mind regarding working of SA. I gone through a FAQ
and some documentation from official SA websites.

1.       Is SA for external to internal mail only ??? or it can be used to
scan internal to external and internal to internal mail also ?

2.       How SA consider mail as a SPAM based on the score ?

3.       How SA used /usr/share/spamassissin/*.cf file ?

Thanks in Advance ,

Suhag Desai.

RE: SA scan internal to external / internal to internal

Posted by Suhag P Desai <sp...@gnvfc.net>.
Anyone has any comment ?

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

--
Bowie

Re: SA scan internal to external / internal to internal

Posted by Bowie Bailey <Bo...@BUC.com>.

Posted by Martin Gregorie <ma...@gregorie.org>.
On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 20:05 +0530, Suhag P Desai wrote:
> 1.      Is SA for external to internal mail only ??? or it can be used
> to scan internal to external and internal to internal mail also ?

That depends on how you feed it:

- at present I'm only scanning incoming by using this chain:

  ISP ---pop3--->getmail | SA | sendmail ---smtp---> Postfix

- If you run SA as a Postfix service I think it scans all mail submitted
  to Postfix via SMTP on port 25

> 2.      How SA consider mail as a SPAM based on the score ?

That's external. SA scores the mail so that something downstream of it
can use the score, such as procmail or a filter in the recipients MUA

If you use amavis-new as an SA front end, it can use the score to
deliver/quarantine/delete etc the message

> 3.      How SA used /usr/share/spamassissin/*.cf file ?

Base rules, replaced with a new set in /var/lib/spamassassin/ the first
time you run sa_update. Your configuration and, optionally,
site-specific rules are usually in /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf or
you can add extra site-specific rules as /etc/mail/spamassassin/*.cf

Martin