Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com> on 2006/11/06 23:53:15 UTC

"the bug fix release"

Just a quick comment.

I'm looking at the subtle problems recently solved by Henning.  I'd
pushed a year ago to set a target of zero bugs remaining when we
release Velocity 1.5, regardless of how long it took.   I feel really
good that we're going to essentially meet that goal.  As we get close
to release candidate, I note that we have 114 issues resolved and 11
left.  The only ones pushed off are a couple of obscure escaping
issues and the #parse of macros problem.

When we release 1.5 we should highlight this improved stability.
Support of our user base will be easier.  And we'll be in good shape
to add another round of incremental features for 1.6 knowing that the
core is rock solid.

WILL

--
Forio Business Simulations

Will Glass-Husain
wglass@forio.com
www.forio.com

Re: "the bug fix release"

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.
"Will Glass-Husain" <wg...@forio.com> writes:

>Just a quick comment.

>I'm looking at the subtle problems recently solved by Henning.  I'd
>pushed a year ago to set a target of zero bugs remaining when we
>release Velocity 1.5, regardless of how long it took.   I feel really
>good that we're going to essentially meet that goal.  As we get close
>to release candidate, I note that we have 114 issues resolved and 11
>left.  The only ones pushed off are a couple of obscure escaping
>issues and the #parse of macros problem.

There are a number of small enhancements (like the
StringResourceLoader) that I would like to see going in, but these are
more of "add-ons" than changes to the core.

I'd say that rebasing the Exceptions is the most important and
potentially backwards-incompatible change that we did. However, I do
feel that it will help us in the long run. With < 10% open issues
(though I'm not sure how many we actually pushed away. ;-) ), I'm
happy. I might find some more time today and on friday to look at
issues.

>When we release 1.5 we should highlight this improved stability.
>Support of our user base will be easier.  And we'll be in good shape
>to add another round of incremental features for 1.6 knowing that the
>core is rock solid.

Uhm. Our parser/tokenizer might be stable but it is not really
good. As long as people have to write #set($d = '$') and then use ${d}
in their templates I'm not really happy with it.

	Best regards
		Henning

--
Henning P. Schmiedehausen  -- hps@intermeta.de | J2EE, Linux,
91054 Buckenhof, Germany   -- +49 9131 506540 | Apache person

          "Save the cheerleader. Save the world."