Posted to users@kafka.apache.org by Pena Quijada Alexander <a....@reply.it> on 2018/03/31 13:51:19 UTC

Kafka Brokers compatibility with Jumbo Frames option.

Hi all,

My name is Alexander, a Linux System Administrator. I'm using Kafka for the Big Data proposes, and I'm wondering if the Kafka Brokers servers, are compatible with the Jumbo Frames option enabled in the network cards that we use to communicate with the Cluster? We wish to enable this new features in order to increase our Network performance and set the MTU parameter to 9000.

At the moment we use Kafka version: 0.10.0.

Many thanks in advance for the kind cooperation.

Kind regards and happy Easter!

Alexander Pena Quijada

________________________________

--
The information transmitted is intended for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer.

Re: Kafka Brokers compatibility with Jumbo Frames option.

Posted by Pena Quijada Alexander <a....@reply.it>.
Hi Peter!

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. I will enable the Jumbo Frame then...

Thanks again for your time and have a Happy Easter! 😉

Regards,

Alex

Inviato da BlueMail<http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=12656>
Il giorno 31 mar 2018, alle ore 17:39, Peter Bukowinski <pm...@gmail.com>> ha scritto:

Hi Alex,

Jumbo frames are a function the network layer. Kafka operates at a higher level in the stack and is thus not aware of ethernet frame sizes. It will work fine as long as all network interfaces and devices in your kafka data path are set to support jumbo frames. If the end-to-end is not set to jumbo frames, you will most likely see dropped or fragmented packets.

—
Peter Bukowinski

Posted by Peter Bukowinski <pm...@gmail.com>.
Hi Alex,