Posted to dev@manifoldcf.apache.org by Markus Schuch <ma...@web.de> on 2019/12/20 10:44:21 UTC

What do you think about moving to git?

Hi everyone,

ManifoldCF is my only project I'm working on, which is still hosted in
subversion.

I would like to start a discussion about whether we could migrate to Git.

Why? I see wasted potential for a more active community and more
contributions by hiding in Subversion. Github has a lot to offer and
developers may no longer know how to use Subversion these days.

What do you think?

Cheers,
Markus

Re: What do you think about moving to git?

Posted by Karl Wright <da...@gmail.com>.
Hi Markus,

All of our release scripts and documentation scripts are written to work
against Subversion.  Changing these represents a non-trivial amount of work
- something I don't have time for at the moment. FWIW, our reliance on
Forrest means that our build process for the site pages performs an svn
checkout of the Forrest codebase (so it can be properly patched to support
CJK fonts), so there's no removing Subversion entirely from our
infrastructure at this time in any case.

Karl

I have no fundamental objection to going to git but this cannot be a
one-person task.