Posted to user@couchdb.apache.org by Sean Hess <se...@gmail.com> on 2010/01/03 18:06:54 UTC

How to test load

I'm trying to figure out a good way to test throughput with my data.

I've created a ruby script that calls the database as many times a
possible in ten seconds, but I think all Im testing is how fast the
Net::HTTP library can open sockets.

I could reuse the same HTTP instance from ruby, but Im afraid that
would keep the socket connected, which isn't accurate either.

Any idea how to test a couch serve without a farm of clients?

Re: How to test load

Posted by Chris Anderson <jc...@apache.org>.
On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 9:47 AM, Roger Binns <ro...@rogerbinns.com> wrote:

--
Chris Anderson
http://jchrisa.net

Re: How to test load

Posted by Roger Binns <ro...@rogerbinns.com>.

Re: How to test load

Posted by Matteo Caprari <ma...@gmail.com>.
I find Tsung very good to simulate concurrent clients.
http://tsung.erlang-projects.org/

On Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM, Sean Hess <se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out a good way to test throughput with my data.
>
> I've created a ruby script that calls the database as many times a
> possible in ten seconds, but I think all Im testing is how fast the
> Net::HTTP library can open sockets.
>
> I could reuse the same HTTP instance from ruby, but Im afraid that
> would keep the socket connected, which isn't accurate either.
>
> Any idea how to test a couch serve without a farm of clients?

--
:Matteo Caprari
matteo.caprari@gmail.com

Re: How to test load

Posted by Karel Minařík <ka...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

> Any idea how to test a couch serve without a farm of clients?

I'd say testing it as "just another HTTP service" with Apache Ab [1]
or HTTPerf [2] would give quite reasonable results.

1. http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/programs/ab.html
2. http://www.hpl.hp.com/research/linux/httperf/, Peepcode screencast: http://peepcode.com/products/benchmarking-with-httperf

K.