Posted to dev@sling.apache.org by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk> on 2017/10/13 09:51:31 UTC

Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Hi,
I would like to upgrade Sling to depend on Oak 1.7.9 as it was just
released. The patch be the same as [1] with 1.7.8 replaced by 1.7.9.

Any objections ?

Best Regards
Ian

1 https://github.com/apache/sling/compare/trunk...ieb:
upgradeToOak178?expand=1

Re: Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.
On Friday 13 October 2017 14:17:03 Ian Boston wrote:
> Hi,

Hi Ian,

> On 13 October 2017 at 13:24, Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de> wrote:
> > On Friday 13 October 2017 10:51:31 Ian Boston wrote:
> > > Hi,
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > > I would like to upgrade Sling to depend on Oak 1.7.9 as it was just
> > > released. The patch be the same as [1] with 1.7.8 replaced by 1.7.9.
> > >
> > > Any objections ?
> >
> > I prefer sticking to stable and wait for 1.8.0.
>
> Is that a strong preference ?

yes, very strong. I hadn't the time to argue today, but Julian explained it
well in the other thread (though I don't see how branching could help in
general* as we are not able to cut releases anyway).

> Not upgrading blocks the availability of OAK-6575 until 1.8.0 is released,
> which creates delays in that feature being available downstream.

[*] You can create private releases of course (which Adobe did in the past
already, not recommended).

Regards,
O.

Re: Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,

Re: Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Re: Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,
Please ignore this thread now. Upgrading to 1.7.9 is not safe.

Oak 1.7.9 is not stable or close to 1.8 and the Oak team has indicated
there will be more changes before 1.8 potentially to exported packages. In
fact, so many that a discussion thread for Oak 2.0 thread was just started
on oak-dev.
Best Regards
Ian

Re: Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.
Hi,

Re: Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Posted by Oliver Lietz <ap...@oliverlietz.de>.

Re: Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Posted by Ian Boston <ie...@tfd.co.uk>.

Re: Upgrade to Oak 1.7.9

Posted by Robert Munteanu <ro...@apache.org>.
Hi Ian,

On Fri, 2017-10-13 at 10:51 +0100, Ian Boston wrote:
> Hi,
> I would like to upgrade Sling to depend on Oak 1.7.9 as it was just
> released. The patch be the same as [1] with 1.7.8 replaced by 1.7.9.
>
> Any objections ?

No objections here.

Related to the pull request - is it required for bundles consuming
testing.paxexam to bump up their dependency version? I think they can