Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by 01...@netcabo.pt on 2003/10/20 23:25:07 UTC

[users@httpd] Apache2 service user

Hi. I've trying to run the apache2 service using a user other than
LocalSystem under Windows XP Pro.
So, I created a new limited account, and, as stated in
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html , I granted the
privileges "Log on as a service" and "Act as part of the operating system"
to the new user.
However, when I tried to start the apache2 service using this new account,
it failed to start:

The Apache service named  reported the following error:
>>> Apache.exe: could not open document config file bin/conf/httpd.conf     .

Then I tried to add the start parameter "-f f:/programas/apache
group/apache2/conf/httpd.conf", and I got the following instead:
The Apache service named  reported the following error:

>>> (20024)The given path misformatted or contained invalid characters:
Invalid config file path f:/programas/apache group/apache2/conf/httpd.conf
    .

I tried to add quotes, use "\" in place of "/"; nothing worked. I'm sure
the new user had privileges to access every file it needed.

I also have another problem: apache is sending the directory listings in
UTF-8, which is strange because 1.3.28 used not to.

Any help in solving these problems would be
appreciated.

Re: [users@httpd] Apache2 service user

Posted by hunter <th...@sympatico.ca>.
On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 17:25, 0149486101@netcabo.pt wrote:
> Hi. I've trying to run the apache2 service using a user other than
> LocalSystem under Windows XP Pro.
> So, I created a new limited account, and, as stated in
> http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/platform/windows.html , I granted the
> privileges "Log on as a service" and "Act as part of the operating system"
> to the new user.
> However, when I tried to start the apache2 service using this new account,
> it failed to start:
>
> The Apache service named  reported the following error:

...why is conf in bin?

My guess is that the service entries are in correct.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Apache2
  ImagePath [REG_EXPAND_SZ] \
  '"[path to apache.exe]" -k runservice'
note: there are imbeded quotes around the path to apache.exe

  Parameters -> ConfigArgs [REG_MULI_SZ] \
  '-d [apache root dir] -f [apache conf file]'
note: there is a binary zero between these two arguments and two binary
zeros at the end - that is what REG_MULTI_SZ means

You must use care when you edit these ... my preference is to let
apache.exe do it - though you have to set the username and password
manually to the best of my knowledge.

> Then I tried to add the start parameter "-f f:/programas/apache
> group/apache2/conf/httpd.conf", and I got the following instead:
> The Apache service named  reported the following error:

> Invalid config file path f:/programas/apache group/apache2/conf/httpd.conf
>     .

> I tried to add quotes, use "\" in place of "/"; nothing worked. I'm sure
> the new user had privileges to access every file it needed.
>

> I also have another problem: apache is sending the directory listings in
> UTF-8, which is strange because 1.3.28 used not to.
>
> Any help in solving these problems would be
> appreciated.

I suggest you try this... (uninstall and re-install apache)

cd to the apache bin directory...

type this command 'apache -h' to check syntax

you may have to specify -f [path conf file]

type this command 'apache -k uninstall' to uninstall
type this command 'apache -k install' to re-install

then go back and reset the user and password

test by running 'apache -k start'

then try and see if it auto starts

Chris