Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Edisandro <ed...@hotmail.com> on 2007/04/02 06:54:03 UTC

TilesServlet class not found

Hi guys,

My application uses JSF 1.1 and I would like to use Tiles without having to
use struts.

Many tutorials on the web tell that I can use Tiles without struts by using
the org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesServlet class.

However, after configure my web.xml file to use such class as described on
these tutorials, I got a big fat ClassNotFoundException error.

After some google I could see that some people who have been using Struts
1.1 and then upgraded to latest versions like me also faced the same
problem.

Does anyone know whether this class has been deprecated or even banned from
the latest struts implementations ?

Where I can find this class ? Is there at least another alternative way to
use Tiles in my JSF application without having to use struts ?

Here's my web.xml file

<servlet>
<load-on-startup>1</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

<servlet>
<servlet-name>TilesServet</servlet-name>
<servlet-class>org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesServlet</servlet-class>
<init-param>
<param-name>definitions-config</param-name>
<param-value>/WEB-INF/tiles-definitions-clf.xml,/WEB-INF/tiles-defs.xml</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>definitions-parser-validate</param-name>
<param-value>true</param-value>
</init-param>
<init-param>
<param-name>definitions-debug</param-name>
<param-value>2</param-value>
</init-param>

<load-on-startup>2</load-on-startup>
</servlet>

The error is:

org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesServlet
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesServlet

Thanks in Advance.
Edisandro.

Re: TilesServlet class not found

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/4/2, Edisandro <ed...@hotmail.com>:

> Hi guys,
>
> My application uses JSF 1.1 and I would like to use Tiles without having to
> use struts.
>
> Many tutorials on the web tell that I can use Tiles without struts by using
> the org.apache.struts.tiles.TilesServlet class.

Short answer:
http://tiles.apache.org/
But, as a suggestion, you should either use the version in the svn
repository, or wait some days until we make a "real" release. But
since I think that you are a newbie with Tiles 2 (not with Tiles 1 :-)
) I think that the second option is the best, also because the
documentation is not complete.
Beware that, if you want to use Tiles 2, you need to rewrite your
tiles-defs.xml and JSP pages containing Tiles tags.

HTH
Antonio