Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> on 2010/09/03 01:34:32 UTC

Setting goals for upcoming releases

Now that Maven 3 beta 3 is out with Guice and Aether, we can pretty
safely call it feature complete. I'd like to propose a few goals to
get some things done. We have ApacheCon coming up the first week of
November, and it would be great to set that as a target to get Maven
3.0 out the door.

So far the feedback on the betas has been good but fairly limited. I
think that without a clear plan, and our history with this mammoth
release, people are probably reluctant to spend a lot of time testing
each beta. In the past we've been successful pushing out release
candidate builds and involving the user list. If we start that
soonish, there should be plenty of time to uncover and fix
regressions, especially if everyone pitches in. There's even time to
cut another beta before we launch into the RCs if it's needed.

So first of all, Benjamin, Herve, Kristian you've collectively done
the majority of the work in M3 recently. Do you think the above is
achievable and desirable? What does everyone else think?

Secondly, For me personally, I'm going to commit to get the Maven
Index code committed and to push updated releases of the dependency
and enforcer plugins before ApacheCon. Anyone else want to ante up for
some chunk of work and get things rolling?

Thanks,
Brian

Re: Setting goals for upcoming releases

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 8:40 PM, Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:04 AM, Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> wrote:
>> Now that Maven 3 beta 3 is out with Guice and Aether, we can pretty
>> safely call it feature complete. I'd like to propose a few goals to
>> get some things done. We have ApacheCon coming up the first week of
>> November, and it would be great to set that as a target to get Maven
>> 3.0 out the door.
>>
>> So far the feedback on the betas has been good but fairly limited. I
>> think that without a clear plan, and our history with this mammoth
>
> Is it then time to add "Try Maven 3 Beta" to the front page and
> include some guidance documentation for those that want to try it out?
> Its a bit hidden at the moment.

Can't hurt.

Re: Setting goals for upcoming releases

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
On Sep 2, 2010, at 11:46 PM, Dan Tran wrote:

> I think i agree with Jason on shooting maven 3.0 out to public as soon
> as you can, however the dev team might want fix up blocking bugs which
> prevent user like me from using maven 3
>
> one of the blocking bug for me is http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MNG-4788

Benjamin has done an enormous amount of testing in plugins, and we told people over 6 months ago that if they wanted to be prepared for 3.0 then start writing ITs for their plugins as we suggested. We can't write ITs for every plugin that exists. There was plenty of warning.

If you want to make sure your plugin works with Maven 3.x then get some ITs in place and then we will help you wire your tests into the grid.

We should probably publicize this now. As good ITs in plugins only help us find regressions, but we can't write tests for everything.

> Thanks
>
> -Dan
>
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 6:12 PM, Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com> wrote:
>> Personally I'd still like to see some resolution to the problems introduced
>> by the version range resolution change ( no more -SNAPSHOT resolution except
>> for on the bounds ).
>>
>> On one hand I applaud the change from a release standpoint, but it currently
>> causes issues for our integration build processes.
>>
>> Two options come to mind:
>>
>> 1) Explicit GAV patterns for -SNAPSHOT resolution get defined somewhere
>> 2) If a GAV is a particpant in a reactor build, it's -SNAPSHOT should be
>> considered kosher for resolution
>>
>> Option 1 would probably require some form of POM change as I don't think the
>> resolution part of a configurable plugin, so most likely can't be done.
>>
>> Option 2 should be fine, as when releasing an individual artifact, nothing
>> external would be in the reactor, unless it was part of the build chain, so
>> no extraneous -SNAPSHOTs would be considered.  This should give a fairly
>> good compromise between "fixing ranges for release" and "not breaking
>> existing builds".
>>
>> Each time I've brought the subject up I don't seem to see any traction or
>> replies/discussion come along, is there room to address this somehow?
>>
>> --
>> Pull me down under...
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu> wrote:
>>
>>> Now that Maven 3 beta 3 is out with Guice and Aether, we can pretty
>>> safely call it feature complete. I'd like to propose a few goals to
>>> get some things done. We have ApacheCon coming up the first week of
>>> November, and it would be great to set that as a target to get Maven
>>> 3.0 out the door.

Jason

Jason van Zyl
Founder,  Apache Maven
http://twitter.com/jvanzyl

A man enjoys his work when he understands the whole and when he
is responsible for the quality of the whole

 -- Christopher Alexander, A Pattern Language

Re: Setting goals for upcoming releases

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Mark Derricutt <ma...@talios.com>.

Posted by Stephen Connolly <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.
> When 3.0 is released, is 2.2 pretty much a dead branch? I have no
> problem with that btw :-)

Isn't it essentially dead now?

Re: Setting goals for upcoming releases

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Stephane Nicoll <st...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.
It's not changing at this point.

Posted by Paul Benedict <pb...@apache.org>.

Posted by Barrie Treloar <ba...@gmail.com>.
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com> wrote:
> I write up a blog entry with the schedule and goals.
>
> i'll mention the construction if ITs and point to some examples.

These will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Setting goals for upcoming releases

Posted by Dan Tran <da...@gmail.com>.
What I meant was to release maven 3.0, the dev needs to iron up most
of to backward compatibility blocking bugs.  ( no work around )

The bug I mentioned sound like a feature that is accidentally take out
of maven core which supports flat repository structure.

-Dan

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.

Posted by Brian Fox <br...@infinity.nu>.

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@sonatype.com>.