Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by "Stephen M. Przepiora" <st...@przepiora.org> on 2002/03/26 16:28:30 UTC

Strange SSI problems

Hello, I am running Apache 1.3.20 on a pretty much stock redhat 7.2
system (not used packages have been removed). It has been running fine
for us since last December.

Yesterday we got a call from a customer saying they were having problems
with their web pages, and it turns out any SSI that includes a cgi has
broken. I tried restarting apache using /etc/init.d/httpd restart. This
did not work. Then I tried /etc/init.d/httpd stop, puased, then ran
/etc/init.d/httpd start. The problem went away.

I am totally confused now, because yesterday it happened also and other
than apache compaing about unable to include the cgi, I dont see any
error messages.

Does anyone have some suggestions for me?

Steve Przepiora

Re: Strange SSI problems

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Tue, 26 Mar 2002, Stephen M. Przepiora wrote:

> Hello and thanks for replying,
> 	Here is an example of the errors I have recieved, keep in mind
> eveything worked and no one was logged into the box at all before I
> started to recieve errors. The box also wasn't that busy:
> [Tue Mar 26 09:19:22 2002] [error] [client 209.177.31.66] unable to
> include "/oswegodailynewscgi/centralad/ssirand.cgi?REGION=Top_Banner" in
> parsed file
> /home/oswegodailynews.com/www/htdocs/content/2002/032502/032502marij_pro
> bation.shtml
>
> [Tue Mar 26 09:19:22 2002] [error] [client 209.177.31.66] Premature end
> of script headers:
> /home/oswegodailynews.com/www/htdocs/oswegodailynewscgi/centralad/ssiran
> d.cgi
>
> I think these errors are pointing to a symptom of whatever problem I'm
> having.

Yes, the "Premature end of script headers" means that the cgi script is
failing to execute properly.  When these errors occur, can you execute a
very simple cgi-script?  For example:

#!/bin/sh

echo Content-type: text/plain
echo
echo Hello world

Joshua.

Re: Strange SSI problems

Posted by "Stephen M. Przepiora" <st...@przepiora.org>.
Hello and thanks for replying,
	Here is an example of the errors I have recieved, keep in mind
eveything worked and no one was logged into the box at all before I
started to recieve errors. The box also wasn't that busy:
[Tue Mar 26 09:19:22 2002] [error] [client 209.177.31.66] unable to
include "/oswegodailynewscgi/centralad/ssirand.cgi?REGION=Top_Banner" in
parsed file
/home/oswegodailynews.com/www/htdocs/content/2002/032502/032502marij_probation.shtml

[Tue Mar 26 09:19:22 2002] [error] [client 209.177.31.66] Premature end
of script headers:
/home/oswegodailynews.com/www/htdocs/oswegodailynewscgi/centralad/ssirand.cgi

I think these errors are pointing to a symptom of whatever problem I'm
having.

Once I stop the server completely and start it up again everything
works. I have also (via lsof | wc -l) counted open files and at one
point during a failure there were 6300 open files on the system and
later when it was working I counted 7600 open files.

confused,
Steve Przepiora

Re: Strange SSI problems

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.