Posted to dev@velocity.apache.org by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de> on 2005/09/14 18:58:04 UTC

Velocity ant build vs. Velocity maven build

Hi,

I've investigated lately the various ways to build the Velocity
jar. To my surprise, I found out that "maven jar" and "cd build ; ant
jar" create different results.

The maven build contains the DataSourceResourceLoader.class which is
only in the velocity-J2EE.

That differentiation made sense with JDK 1.3 but with JDK 1.4 and
above, it is no longer necessary.

Also, the maven built jar contains LICENSE.txt. ant build does not.

My questions now are:

- in the README.txt, there is still the ant build the canonical one. Is this
  true?

- There is http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/VELOCITY-147. I've attached
  a patch to this issue to fix the problems. Will, can you please apply this?

- Do we want the ant build to stay the primary build? I've worked on the
  build system on a private fork for quite a while and I'm quite confident
  that using maven is an improvement. See
  http://henning.schmiedehausen.org/demo/velocity/ for an example (this
  is from an internal tree, so some classes differ from the "official" ones.

  Note that the layout is still "vanilla maven". Using a style sheet should
  make it possible to get the current velocity site layout back.

- This would also enable to move the whole org.apache.velocity.test package
  out of the jar into maven driven unit tests. We can still keep the ant
  driven tests, but the classes would no longer go into the velocity.jar
  thus reducing its size a bit.

I'd like to work on the velocity build system a bit, because currently this
is an issue for me in a project. Are there any concerns about this?

	Best regards
		Henning

		      4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42

Re: Velocity ant build vs. Velocity maven build

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
I was thinking too that if we have a real maven build, it'd be nice to add a
brief "how to build with maven" to that page.

WILL

Posted by "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <hp...@intermeta.de>.

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
I'm enthused about smoothing out the build process and thinning out the jar
file.

We currently say that we target JDK 1.3 and above.  Maybe we should amend
this?  Compile with JDK 1.4 but runs with JDK 1.3+