Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Martin Giljohann <mm...@gmx.net> on 2006/06/29 01:06:39 UTC

Re: emove inline edit links on weblog pages?

I like the idea of simplifying the blog UIs and from my point of view the edit link is somewhat unnecessary.

However I disagree with the general idea of not considering authorization for the blog templates, because I regard e.g. the navigation menu as being pretty useful in terms of having a shortcut for the author for posting new entries and manage the settings. This is a usability feature which I would personally weight higher than speeding up the caching.

Regards
Martin

Re: remove inline edit links on weblog pages?

Posted by Brian Blakeley <we...@labourunions.com>.
I agree completely with Dave's comments and usage observations.

Brian
cheblogs.com/

Posted by Allen Gilliland <Al...@Sun.COM>.
comments inline ...

Dave Johnson wrote:
> Comments below...
>
> On 6/29/06, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Matt Raible wrote:
>> you
>> the
>> >
>> > Yes, I use it all the time for that.  It's a force of habit more than
>> > anything.  If I was smart, I'd use two tabs, but after posting
>> > thousands of blog entries, habits form. ;-)
>
> We definitely got a very good reaction when we introduced those edit
> links. They are very convenient. It's easy to browse old entries and
> edit them when you find problems. You might arrive at an old entry
> after browing somebody else's blog and finding a link back to your
> blog, or after doing a google search or recieving a comment
> notification -- it's very convenient to be able to simply click the
> edit link to started editing.
>
> And there are other convenient things we could do like showing an
> unapproved comment count for each entry and a link to the entry's
> comment management page.

I can see all of those being useful.

>> That was basically what I was thinking but couldn't articulate it for
>> some reason.  It does seem more to me like this is a feature that some
>> people may be used to because it's there, not because there is a real
>> need for it.
>
> It's not just for preview. I use the edit link to go from old entries
> to the edit interface and I used the in-page editor-menu to access the
> bookmarks, settings, settings and other pages in the interface. I
> also use the toggle-linkback links to change visibility of linkbacks.
> Those things are a daily part of my Roller usage and I really do not
> want to see them go away.

I still think that's semi-strange since you have to already be logged in
for this to work, but okay.

> We've already made the caching of logged-in pages optional; doesn't
> that solve the problem that you are concerned about.

it's not just the cache size.  it's additional complexity in the code,
models, and macros, it's extra caching, and there are some security
implications.

>> I can see a reason why you might publish and entry and go immediately to
>> your blog page to take a final look at it, then decide you need to make
>> an edit, but aside from the past entry or 2 i don't see why you would
>> first login to the authoring interface and then navigate to your weblog
>> so that you can edit an entry that is multiple days/months old.  Or why
>> you would login to the authoring interface and then navigate to your
>> blog so that you can use the "Website:Settings" link there instead of
>> just using the link on the main menu page of the authoring interface.
>
> I spend time browing my blog, tweaking the them and moving back
> and forth between the editor interface and my blog. I'd like be able to
> do more of that not less.

fair enough.

>> In any case, as an alternative I would probably propose that instead of
>> linking back and forth between the fully published weblog pages and the
>> authoring interface that we instead expand the capabilities of the
>> preview servlet to meet this need instead.  The preview servlet seems
>> like the ideal venue for this exact situation and can offer *way* more
>> benefits since we can do things with the preview servlet which we
>> wouldn't be able to do on the real pages.
>>
>> For example, perhaps the preview servlet should render draft entries so
>> that the weblog author can see how their entry will fit in with the
>> entire rendered page, rather than using the fairly simple entry preview
>> mode that we have now?  This way you can get a true preview of the way
>> the entry will look, but without having to publish it first.  Also,
>> maybe we can find a way to setup the preview servlet so that it can
>> render using unsaved template changes as well.  That would be extremely
>> beneficial since you would be able to work on templates without having
>> to affect how your rendered blog looks.  And on and on.
>
> Yes! Absolutely. We should rip out the old preview feature and provide
> a real preview that shows the blog entry as it will appear on the
> blog.

I agree, but I don't think we need to rip out the current preview, right
now it's basically the same thing as the page servlet with a few
changes.  I think we just need to build on it.

> I think there are a lot of cool UI things we can do by knowing the
> logged in state of the user when we render the blog so I strongly
> object to removing that ability from the page models.
> We need to make the UI easier to use, so let's not short-change users
> just to save a little space in the cache.

I'm not sure that exposing the login state of users to template writers
is necessarily a good thing, namely because of the security
implications, but obviously you need to do something to know when to add
the edit links.

> The blog itself is part of the user interface and I want to keep it that
> way.

This is what I would most strongly disagree with.  I think you just
believe that because they are both packaged together in the same webapp,
but from a conceptual point of view I think the process of authoring
content is not at all part of content delivery.

So no worries then, we won't change anything about the inline edit
links.  I just wanted to offer it up as a suggestion.

-- Allen

Posted by Dave Johnson <sn...@gmail.com>.
Comments below...

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.
comments below ...

Matt Raible wrote:
> On 6/29/06, Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com> wrote:
>> Hopefully we'll hear from a wider set of people about this, but I am
>> still wondering what the use case is for these edit links.  How are you
>> guys actually using them?  You actually move back and forth between the
>> authoring interface and your rendered weblog to edit entries?
>
> Yes, I use it all the time for that.  It's a force of habit more than
> anything.  If I was smart, I'd use two tabs, but after posting
> thousands of blog entries, habits form. ;-)

That was basically what I was thinking but couldn't articulate it for
some reason.  It does seem more to me like this is a feature that some
people may be used to because it's there, not because there is a real
need for it.

And just so that we are not misunderstood, I am not just objecting to
this feature because I don't happen to use it.  I am really just trying
to offer an objective question of ... is this feature really the best
way to accomplish the problem it is trying to solve?  more specifically,
do these edit links on the rendered weblog pages really serve as the
right way to work on weblog authoring while having a chance to get a
full view of the changes?  it seems that the only benefit these links
offer over their counterparts in the authoring interface is that they
allow you to see the rendered weblog at the same time, and I fully admit
that can be beneficial at times.

[...]

My goal is not to rip out a valid feature, it's more to question whether
that feature is really appropriate and if it can be done in a better way.

-- Allen

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Allen Gilliland <al...@sun.com>.

Posted by Matt Raible <mr...@gmail.com>.