Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Wellington S. Mariusso" <ma...@softwaredesign.com.br> on 2000/08/21 20:27:18 UTC

Recompiling JSPs

Hi,

I have de following problem:

When I change a JSP file and then I click on reload button on the
browser, Tomcat isn't recompiling the JSP file. The permissions of the
files are OK... Even using the jspc script tomcat stil ignores my
changes.
Althoug, if I remove the $TOMCAT_HOME/work directory, shutdown tomcat
and restart, it works.

Anyone can Help??

I'm using Slackwere Linux 7 with JDK 1.3

Regards,

Wellington S. Mariusso

Re: Recompiling JSPs

Posted by Matt Goss <mg...@rtci.com>.
Wellington,
I've had this problem before. I haaad initially started Tomcat as root.
When I restarted it as another user (I found out you shouldn't run tomcat
as root) and changed some JSP pages, I got a permissions error as well.
Apparently, when a JSP page is compiled into a servlet it is stored in the
work directory. If there is already a servlet there of the same name and
the current "tomcat - user" doesn't have the right permissions (ie doesn't
own and/or have write permission to the work directory and the file inside
it) an error will get thrown. So the solution to the problem is to always
use the same user to start tomcat and make sure if you change users, that
the new one has write permissions to the work direcotory and the files
inside it.
What this means is that your installation is working correctly. You just
need to make sure which user is running tomcat and what their permissions
are.
Matt