Posted to slide-user@jakarta.apache.org by Pontus Strand <Po...@oss.teleca.se> on 2004/11/18 14:01:33 UTC

Needs help with the creation of new roles and users

Hi,

I'm rather new to world of Jakarta Slide and as such I could use some
assistance.

What I want to do is to first create a new role and then add a new user to
that role. I also want to be able to give the role access to one or more
collections (primarily in the "/files" collection). If this could be
achieved with the DAV Explorer it would be great, but I haven't be able to
so far.

I have been able to create both roles and users, as well as assigning users
to role(s), with DAV Explorer. However, all attempts to assign the new role
to, say, the "/files" collection fails miserably as I can't login (I get a
"403 Access to the requested resource has been denied").

When creating a new user and assigning it to one of the user role (following
the HOWTO located here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/howto-create-users.html), everything works
like a charm.

I'm a bit confused as to where I should do my changes, and what changes I
should do. Should I work with the domain.xml file at all or should I only
use other tools (such as DAV Explorer or a tool of my own making)? When
looking at the metadata stored in a MySQL database I saw a field called
"succession" in the "permissions" table, has this value any impact on the
way permissions are evaluated? I.e. can a permission that should give
role/user more access be "blocked" by another permission?

The setup at moment is as follows: I'm using Slide 2.1b2 bundled with Tomcat
5.0.28, a standard Windows file system to store files in and a MySQL 4.1.7
database to store metadata in. I'm also using DAV Explorer 0.90.

Best regards,
Pontus Strand

Re: Needs help with the creation of new roles and users

Posted by James Mason <ma...@apache.org>.
After you create the users/roles, you'll need to modify the ACL of the
collection you want to give access to. I don't think DAVExplorer can
modify ACLs, so I'd suggest you use the Slide command-line client.

http://jakarta.apache.org/slide/webdav-client.html should get you
started. The command you'll need are "open" and "grant".

-James