Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Joseph S Chung <js...@itsd.gov.hk> on 2003/06/24 05:39:42 UTC

JAVA_HOME variable problem

I am using Redhat 9.0 and want to setup Tomcat.

I follow instruction from the link below
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/RUNNING.txt

And the following items are downloaded and installed
1. j2re-1_4_103-linux-i586-rpm.bin
2. j2sdk-1_4_103-linux-i586-rpm.bin
3. jakarta-tomcat-5-bin-20030619.tar.gz

With "echo $JAVA_HOME", I get "/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_03".

When I run
/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-5/dist/bin/startup.sh

the following message comes up...

The JAVA_HOME environment variable is not defined
This environment variable is needed to run this program

And then I download and install Tomcat 4.1.6, the same error come up.
Please help.
Thanks.

Re: JAVA_HOME variable problem

Posted by Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>.
On Tue, 2003-06-24 at 15:39, Joseph S Chung wrote:
> With "echo $JAVA_HOME", I get "/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_03".

Sorry to ask, but have you done this?
  export JAVA_HOME

Without this, the value is visible in your current shell but not in
applications started from your current shell.