Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by sumantht <su...@gmail.com> on 2008/07/15 14:29:38 UTC

which type of fields are to be compressed

hi
is it preferable to compress each and every field, if not why.?
how exactly it helps?

Re: which type of fields are to be compressed

Posted by Erick Erickson <er...@gmail.com>.
Compression is only relevant for the original text, not the indexed
part. So in terms of searching, it's irrelevant.

Where it is relevant is when you *fetch* the document (e.g.
doe = hits.doc(32)), the de-compression work is done (for
stored documents). Depending upon your app, this may or
may not matter.

Here's a writeup I did that will shed some light on this, even
though it talks about FieldSelector (which, if you really need
to compress data you probably care about too).

http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/FieldSelectorPerformance

Best
Erick