Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by cyberarian <cy...@gmail.com> on 2007/02/24 12:52:16 UTC

[users@httpd] How to configure FTP Accounts using Apache 2.2

Dear All

I am running Apache 2.2 on Windows 2003 Adv Server.  I want to setup a few
FTP accounts.  Can anyone guide me?

Cyberarian

Re: [users@httpd] How to configure FTP Accounts using Apache 2.2

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Chris Covington wrote:
> On 2/24/07, cyberarian <cy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Dear All
>>
>> I am running Apache 2.2 on Windows 2003 Adv Server.  I want to setup a
>> few
>> FTP accounts.  Can anyone guide me?
>
> Get an FTP server then like vsftpd (not sure if that's available on
> Windows) or use IIS.  Apache is not also an FTP server like IIS.
> Apache is just for HTTP.

Oh really?  Heh

Well yes

 - FTP has nothing to do with HTTP

 - The default distribution only enables HTTP by default, other shipping
   protocols such as mod_echo are not compiled or installed by default.

You have many choices between different ftpd (ftp daemons) that will
run on Windows.  Eventually (hopefully the moment EPSV/EPRT commands
work) one of those will be...

   http://httpd.apache.org/modules/#mod_ftp

If you need an excuse to visit Amsterdam this May...

   http://www.eu.apachecon.com/program/talk/39

And if you are a Java fan, another option will hopefully become...

   http://incubator.apache.org/projects/ftpserver.html

Yours,

Bill

Re: [users@httpd] How to configure FTP Accounts using Apache 2.2

Posted by Chris Covington <ma...@umich.edu>.
On 2/24/07, cyberarian <cy...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All
>
> I am running Apache 2.2 on Windows 2003 Adv Server.  I want to setup a few
> FTP accounts.  Can anyone guide me?

Get an FTP server then like vsftpd (not sure if that's available on
Windows) or use IIS.  Apache is not also an FTP server like IIS.
Apache is just for HTTP.

Chris