Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by SWIT <ma...@s-wit.net> on 2003/11/07 01:11:57 UTC

[users@httpd] why

why do i get messages from elzm saying this: the dates is OCT 26 ???

users@httpd.apache.org mailing list.

Messages to you from the users mailing list seem to
message I received.

I will remove your address from the users mailing list,
without further notice.

I've kept a list of which messages from the users mailing list have
bounced from your address.

Here are the message numbers:

   33822
   33851
   33853
   33951
   33952
   33953
   33955
   33959
   33977
   33978
   34003
   34002
   34004
   34052
   34053
   34056
   34058
   34060
   34066
   34120
   34122
   34123
   34127
   34131
   34171
   34177
   34188
   34187
   34186
   34189
   34191
   34201
   34234
   34251
   34281
   34283

Date: 26 Oct 2003 06:12:24 -0000
From: MAILER-DAEMON@apache.org
To: users-return-33822-@httpd.apache.org
Subject: failure notice

Hi. This is the qmail-send program at apache.org.

<ma...@s-wit.net>:
68.156.89.107 failed after I sent the message.
Remote host said: 550 Message could not be sent due to inappropriate content

Re: [users@httpd] why

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Thu, 6 Nov 2003, SWIT wrote:

> but from OCT 26 ? and now getting them email about them ?
> Thats 11 days. Even the post office insn't that slow.

> > You have some crappy MTA that is rejecting messages to the users mailing
> > list for some unspecified reason having to do with their content.  Ask
> > your mail server administrator.

The mailing list manager does not send you notification every time a
message to you bounces.  It only sends you a notification after a bunch
have bounced.  Sending a notification after each one doesn't make much
sense since, if the mailing list message bounced, there is a good chance
any notification will bounce too.

Joshua.

Re: [users@httpd] Huge access.log effect

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On Fri, 7 Nov 2003, Richard Correia wrote:
> My server administrator is not aware of logrotate and I need to explain
> him the effect of huge size access.log and error.log.
>
> Our server is pIII 733 Mhz with 512 MB RAM running red hat Linux.
> Apache version is 1.3.23
>
> Access.log size is 1.7GB [1.7 Gigabytes]
> Error.log  size is 6.1MB
>
> I am sure that 1.7GB access file will affect the server performance. How
> can I explain my administrator about this ?

I'm not sure if it will affect performance or not.  But you might be in
for a nasty surprise, since many OSes won't support files > 2GB.  The
result could be lost logs or a frozen web server.

Posted by Matt Simonsen <ma...@careercast.com>.
On Fri, 2003-11-07 at 05:36, Richard Correia wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My server administrator is not aware of logrotate

He must be aware that logs eventually need to be rotated. If you have to
convince him of this I'd be a little concerned.

>  and I need to explain him the effect of huge size access.log and error.log

I don't know there's anything to explain.

Practically one really good reason for regular rotation is so that
compression is possible/ hurts less. You can't compress if you can't
rotate files (unless you pipe your log through gzip, but that's another
issue). Furthermore, regular rotation helps in that if you have a 20
gigs of log file data and you want to read only the last 10 lines you're
going to be in for a long wait if all the data is in one file. On the
other hand, if that's split into 100 small dated files it's much faster
to find what you want since you would need to uncompress 1/100 as much
data.

> I am sure that 1.7GB access file will affect the server performance.

I'm not aware of a serious performance ding (or any for that matter) for
writing to a larger log file... are you really sure or do you just
suspect it's this way? Is there something you know about large files and
performance that would add to my understanding of the issue?

Matt

[users@httpd] Huge access.log effect

[users@httpd] Log analyzer mod_gzip

Posted by Richard Correia <ri...@ugamsolutions.com>.
Hi,

Anybody using separate log analyzer for mod_gzip ?

I have tried googlize "log analyzer mod_gzip", but no LUCK.

Thanks
Richard

Re: [users@httpd] why

Posted by Leif W <wa...@usa.net>.