Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by mguadagna <mg...@yahoo.com> on 2007/10/14 20:11:37 UTC

Extremely Slow to Resolve

Hello ivy-users,

In our effort to abandon Maven2 as soon as possible, we are trying Ant+Ivy
which seems to be much more *flexible* with less magic than Maven.

I have downloaded and tried the examples of both jayasoft ivy 1.4 and
apache-ivy-2.0.0-alpha2-incubating. So far, they both work just fine on
Windows (with proxy) and Mac OS X (no proxy) and I am pleased with all I am
reading that ivy can do. However, In all cases, it takes an extremely long
time to resolve the dependencies.

For example, hello-ivy takes 13 minutes to build.  And,
build-a-ivy-repository (basic) is similar.

Of course, after first build, when the cache is used, the times drop to mere
seconds.

Is this the normal? I can't believe it is.

I am trying to do things as vanilla as possible, following the install, and
simply running the src/examples as-is (no modification whatsoever, and just
typing 'ant'). And, I've verified my browser can hit the repository sites
and the speed is fine in the browser.

RE: Extremely Slow to Resolve

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.
Ah, thanks for the info. I'm using Maven in one (open source) project, but I
chose Ivy for my last client. I've never gotten very familiar with Maven,
but I've worked with Ant a lot, so Ivy seemed like a better choice.

We're still using 1.4, though. I'll be happy when IvyDE comes out for 2.0.

Kito D. Mann - Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring
http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info

Posted by mguadagna <mg...@yahoo.com>.

kito99 wrote:

> By the way, why are you switching from Maven? (Just curious.)

In short, we switched to Maven2 earlier this year. At first it seemed
appealing to have standardization, and we were willing to learn what we
needed to make it work for us. We got the basic stuff to work, used many
plug-ins, and wrote a few as well. What we found is that we never really got
over the struggling, though.  The struggles continued every time we wanted
to extend our build process in some way. What seemed like it should take
only 5 mintues, pretty much always took us much longer. The documentation is
so poor, we found we had the learn more about the black magic (aka
convention) than we wanted to just to understand what it was doing -- so
much for the ease of convention over configuration. We opted to go back to

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
2007/10/16, Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>:

> I think Gilles (Ivy committer) says we (Ivy) are switching to maven 2
> repository as default public repository in Ivy because IvyRep is not
> maintained anymore, and maven 2 repository is growing every day and thus
> much more up to date.

Yes, it is what i was trying to say ;-)

--
Gilles SCOKART

Re: Extremely Slow to Resolve

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/15/07, Kito D. Mann <km...@virtua.com> wrote:

> Do you mean that you're switching from Ivy to Maven, or from the Ivy
> repository to a Maven repository?

I think Gilles (Ivy committer) says we (Ivy) are switching to maven 2
repository as default public repository in Ivy because IvyRep is not
maintained anymore, and maven 2 repository is growing every day and thus
much more up to date. Maybe in the future if Ivy gains enough traction we
could provide ivy metadata in maven 2 repository for modules where maven 2
format is too limited, but for now using maven 2 repository is pretty good
to start with. What I do personnally in projects where I need a public
repository and not an enterprise one is setup a chain starting with a small
maven 2 repository containing only modules missing from maven 2 public repo,
and some metadata fixes, and then using straight maven 2 repository. With
current Ivy version it works pretty well and it's really nice to have so
many modules available, most of the time with source and javadoc, it's a
real pleasure with current trunk version of IvyDE.

Xavier

http://xhab.blogspot.com/
http://ant.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/

RE: Extremely Slow to Resolve

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.

Posted by Gilles Scokart <gs...@gmail.com>.
We are actually switching to maven.  ivyrep is the historical one.  But we
now also use (preferably?) maven because it is much more complete, and it is
much more up-to-date.

Gilles

2007/10/15, Kito D. Mann <km...@virtua.com>:

> I've seen this problem when using <ivyrep>. Try using a pure Maven
> repository instead and see if htat makes a difference. I think the Ivy
> repository is slow for some reason.
>
> By the way, why are you switching from Maven? (Just curious.)

> Kito D. Mann - Author, JavaServer Faces in Action
> http://www.virtua.com - JSF/Java EE consulting, training, and mentoring
> http://www.JSFCentral.com - JavaServer Faces FAQ, news, and info

Gilles SCOKART

RE: Extremely Slow to Resolve

Posted by "Kito D. Mann" <km...@virtua.com>.

Posted by mguadagna <mg...@yahoo.com>.

Xavier Hanin wrote:

> That's weird. I'd think this is related to the response time from the
> server, but if things go well from your browser, I see no reason why it's
> so
> slow with Ivy. What you can still do is try using a mirror instead of
> default maven repo. In the multiple resolvers tutorial, for instance, you
> can replace the mere ibilio resolver in the settings by one with another
> root:
> <ibiblio name="ibiblio" root="http://mirrors.sunsite.dk/maven" />
> This is only an example, use the closest mirror from you.
>
> What you can also do is setup your own repository and things should work
> much better. And since there are multiple good reasons to have an
> enterprise
> repository (see our best practice page), it's not wasted time anyway :-)

Advice taken.
We switched to a maven2 repository and built out our own enterprise
repository for all the reasons listed in the best practices. The tutorials
run much better with the faster repositories.

Re: Extremely Slow to Resolve

Posted by Xavier Hanin <xa...@gmail.com>.
On 10/14/07, mguadagna <mg...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello ivy-users,
>
> In our effort to abandon Maven2 as soon as possible, we are trying Ant+Ivy
> which seems to be much more *flexible* with less magic than Maven.
>
> I have downloaded and tried the examples of both jayasoft ivy 1.4 and
> apache-ivy-2.0.0-alpha2-incubating. So far, they both work just fine on
> Windows (with proxy) and Mac OS X (no proxy) and I am pleased with all I
> am
> reading that ivy can do. However, In all cases, it takes an extremely long
> time to resolve the dependencies.
>
> For example, hello-ivy takes 13 minutes to build.  And,
> build-a-ivy-repository (basic) is similar.
>
> Of course, after first build, when the cache is used, the times drop to
> mere
> seconds.
>
> Is this the normal? I can't believe it is.

Indeed, this is not normal.

http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/
http://www.xoocode.org/