Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by Motty Cruz <mo...@gmail.com> on 2018/04/05 16:12:45 UTC

how to remove T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Hello, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  this rule is allowing spammy emails past
through. Is there a way to disable in local.cf?

Thanks,
Motty

Re: how to remove T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

> It's also useless duplicate of __RP_MATCHES_RCVD
>
> header   T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  eval:check_mailfrom_matches_rcvd()
> header      __RP_MATCHES_RCVD      eval:check_mailfrom_matches_rcvd()

Cleaned that up.

   False is the idea of utility that sacrifices a thousand real
   advantages for one imaginary or trifling inconvenience; that would
   take fire from men because it burns, and water because one may drown
   in it; that has no remedy for evils except destruction. The laws
   that forbid the carrying of arms are laws of such a nature. They
   disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit
   crime.               -- Cesare Beccaria, quoted by Thomas Jefferson
  6 days until Thomas Jefferson's 275th Birthday

Re: how to remove T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Fri, 6 Apr 2018, Matus UHLAR - fantomas wrote:

>> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Motty Cruz wrote:
>>> Hello, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  this rule is allowing spammy emails past
>>> through. Is there a way to disable in local.cf?
>
> simply put:
>
> score   RP_MATCHES_RCVD         0
> score   T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD       0
>
> in case of anyone will try pushing any of these to SA.
>
> On 05.04.18 09:32, John Hardin wrote:
>> The best way to disable it without breaking any meta-rules that may be
>> using it is to set its score to 0.001 in your local config file.
>
> meta rules are supposed to use __RP_MATCHES_RCVD - this is what
> __RP_MATCHES_RCVD is for.
>
> using T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD in meta rules should be considered a bug.

Correct, however that doesn't mean someone hasn't done so locally.

> It's also useless duplicate of __RP_MATCHES_RCVD
>
> header   T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  eval:check_mailfrom_matches_rcvd()
> header      __RP_MATCHES_RCVD      eval:check_mailfrom_matches_rcvd()

Yeah. I noticed that too but didn't clean it up. If somebody else doesn't
by this weekend I probably will.

   [For Earth Day] Obama flew a 747 all the way to the Everglades
   then rode in a massive SUV motorcade to tell you
   to cut carbon emissions.            -- Twitter satirist @hale_razor
  7 days until Thomas Jefferson's 275th Birthday

Re: how to remove T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uh...@fantomas.sk>.
>On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Motty Cruz wrote:
>>Hello, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  this rule is allowing spammy emails past
>>through. Is there a way to disable in local.cf?

simply put:

score   RP_MATCHES_RCVD         0
score   T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD       0

in case of anyone will try pushing any of these to SA.

On 05.04.18 09:32, John Hardin wrote:
>The best way to disable it without breaking any meta-rules that may
>be using it is to set its score to 0.001 in your local config file.

meta rules are supposed to use __RP_MATCHES_RCVD - this is what
__RP_MATCHES_RCVD is for.

using T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD in meta rules should be considered a bug.

It's also useless duplicate of __RP_MATCHES_RCVD

header   T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  eval:check_mailfrom_matches_rcvd()
header      __RP_MATCHES_RCVD      eval:check_mailfrom_matches_rcvd()

I really wonder that after multiple complaints of RP_MATCHES_RCVD someone
dared push it to rulesets again.

just a simple search:

https://lists.gt.net/spamassassin/users/166185
http://spamassassin.1065346.n5.nabble.com/RP-MATCHES-RCVD-td111557.html
http://spamassassin.1065346.n5.nabble.com/RP-MATCHES-RCVD-td107111.html
https://serverfault.com/questions/628398/spamassassin-filter-systematically-produces-negative-ham-scores-for-spam-messa

>I don't see a score for it in the latest rules update, so it should
>by default be *adding* one point to scores, which won't contribute to
>FNs.

It could to contribute to FPs in such case.

I believe this hasn't been true in the past, since I have already disabled
this on some of systems we maintain in our company.

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".

Re: how to remove T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.
I stand corrected!

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by "Kevin A. McGrail" <km...@apache.org>.

--
Kevin A. McGrail
Asst. Treasurer & VP Fundraising, Apache Software Foundation

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Motty Cruz wrote:

> Thanks for your prompt reply John,

>         tests=[BAYES_50=4.3, FROM_EXCESS_BASE64=0.979, HTML_MESSAGE=0.001,
>         T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01] autolearn=no autolearn_force=no
>
> always the score is -0.01 regardless; I will take your suggestion and set it
> to 0.01, will report back shortly.

Actually, I retract that suggestion, I wasn't aware of the special
automatic scoring for T_ rules. Leave it alone.

Why do you think that a rule scoring -0.01 is responsible for FN scores?

It may be due to its use as a suppressor in some metas, but absent the
full spam we can't check for that.

> Thanks,
>

> On 04/05/2018 09:32 AM, John Hardin wrote:
>> On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Motty Cruz wrote:
>>
>>> Hello, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  this rule is allowing spammy emails past
>>> through. Is there a way to disable in local.cf?
>>
>> The best way to disable it without breaking any meta-rules that may be
>> using it is to set its score to 0.001 in your local config file.
>>
>> I don't see a score for it in the latest rules update, so it should by
>> default be *adding* one point to scores, which won't contribute to FNs.
>>
>> What is it currently scored in your environment?
>>
>> It is, however, used as a suppressor subrule in some spam meta-rules. Is
>> that why it's causing FNs for you?

  Windows and its users got mentioned at home today, after my wife the
  psych major brought up Seligman's theory of "learned helplessness."
                                              -- Dan Birchall in a.s.r
  8 days until Thomas Jefferson's 275th Birthday

Re: how to remove T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD

Posted by Motty Cruz <mo...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Tom,

my scores were definitely a problem.

Thanks again,
Motty

Posted by Tom Hendrikx <to...@whyscream.net>.

Posted by Motty Cruz <mo...@gmail.com>.

Posted by John Hardin <jh...@impsec.org>.
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018, Motty Cruz wrote:

> Hello, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  this rule is allowing spammy emails past through.
> Is there a way to disable in local.cf?

The best way to disable it without breaking any meta-rules that may be
using it is to set its score to 0.001 in your local config file.

I don't see a score for it in the latest rules update, so it should by
default be *adding* one point to scores, which won't contribute to FNs.

What is it currently scored in your environment?

It is, however, used as a suppressor subrule in some spam meta-rules. Is
that why it's causing FNs for you?

   The first time I saw a bagpipe, I thought the player was
   torturing an octopus. I was amazed they could scream so loudly.
                                         -- cat_herder_5263 on Y! SCOX

Posted by RW <rw...@googlemail.com>.
On Thu, 5 Apr 2018 09:12:45 -0700
Motty Cruz wrote:

> Hello, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD  this rule is allowing spammy emails past
> through. Is there a way to disable in local.cf?

How's that happening? A T_* rule only scores +/- 0.01.