Posted to java-user@axis.apache.org by Reynardine <re...@loveable.com> on 2003/06/24 17:49:33 UTC

Differences between WSDL v1.0 and v1.1

Hello,

If I look in somebodys WSDL file, how can I tell if it's at version 1.0 or 1.1 ?  Are there different tags, namespaces and headers between the two WSDL versions ?

The help for WSDL2Java and Java2WSDL suggests that you can force the version using the "-T" switch, but only between 1.1 and 1.2.  Why can I not generate 1.0?

Finally, was Axis beta 3 the last Axis version to use WSDL 1.0 ?

Thank you for your help,

Rey.

http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

http://corp.mail.com/careers

Re: Differences between WSDL v1.0 and v1.1

Posted by Anne Thomas Manes <an...@manes.net>.
I can't believe that Axis ever used WSDL 1.0. WSDL 1.1 was out long before
the Axis project began.

It took me a bit of hunting, but I eventually found the WSDL 1.0 spec
archived at coverpages.org [1]. I would have thought that you could
distinguish the two specs by the wsdl namespace, but it turns out that the
authors didn't bother to change the namespace between 1.0 and 1.1. There's
no other version indicator that I know of. The core elements look the same.
You're welcome to do a side-by-side comparison of the two specs and tell us
how they're different. But why bother? No one uses WSDL 1.0.

The reason why you can't generate WSDL 1.0 is that it was never promoted as
a standard. WSDL 1.0 was a work-in-progress, developed by IBM and Microsoft.
The first version to be submitted to W3C and to be widely adopted was WSDL
1.1.

Anne

[1] http://xml.coverpages.org/wsdl20000929.html