Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by Michael Price <mi...@computer.org> on 2003/06/18 18:07:32 UTC

memory use

Just an interesting data point here.

On my Solaris box I just used the 0.24.2 svn binary to switch from the
release branch to the trunk. The process steadily grew until at the end
it was using around 46MB of memory. That's almost as large as my
mozilla process :)

Should svn switch be using that much memory?

Michael

Re: memory use

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
cmpilato@collab.net writes:

> Michael Price <mi...@computer.org> writes:
>
> > Just an interesting data point here.
> >
> > On my Solaris box I just used the 0.24.2 svn binary to switch from the
> > release branch to the trunk. The process steadily grew until at the end
> > it was using around 46MB of memory. That's almost as large as my
> > mozilla process :)
> >
> > Should svn switch be using that much memory?
>
> Hey, Michael, just to confirm that you aren't insane, I just verified
> that switch is indeed eating a bunch of memory.  What I saw was a bit
> different than your description.  My 'svn' process was basically
> steady at 4 megs of usage (by which I mean, it was growing very
> slowly, like it would if most of its computations were path
> manipulations stockpiling in a main pool), the *poof* it jumped up to
> 25 megs of usage, and then slowly grew from there.
>
> Investigating now.

Sheesh, I hate to say it, but I think this memory growth is happening
either in neon or the XML parser.  Somewhere between
ne_request_dispatch() and ...

Wait.

I found it.

Watch for a commit soon.

Re: memory use

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Michael Price <mi...@computer.org> writes:

> Just an interesting data point here.
>
> On my Solaris box I just used the 0.24.2 svn binary to switch from the
> release branch to the trunk. The process steadily grew until at the end
> it was using around 46MB of memory. That's almost as large as my
> mozilla process :)
>
> Should svn switch be using that much memory?

Hey, Michael, just to confirm that you aren't insane, I just verified
that switch is indeed eating a bunch of memory.  What I saw was a bit
different than your description.  My 'svn' process was basically
steady at 4 megs of usage (by which I mean, it was growing very
slowly, like it would if most of its computations were path
manipulations stockpiling in a main pool), the *poof* it jumped up to
25 megs of usage, and then slowly grew from there.

Investigating now.

Re: memory use

Posted by cm...@collab.net.
Michael Price <mi...@computer.org> writes:

> Just an interesting data point here.
>
> On my Solaris box I just used the 0.24.2 svn binary to switch from the
> release branch to the trunk. The process steadily grew until at the end
> it was using around 46MB of memory. That's almost as large as my
> mozilla process :)
>
> Should svn switch be using that much memory?

Nothing in Subversion should steadily grow forever.  I wonder if the
recent changes to the checkout/update/switch editor introduced a pool
usage inefficiency.