Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Nicolas Lanquetin <ni...@lanquetin.biz> on 2007/04/15 14:40:43 UTC

Struts 2.0.6 != Shale?

I always though Shale was a codename for the new Struts 2.0. However, I
am a little bit confused now that I've seen that there a two different
websites:

1) http://struts.apache.org/2.0.6/
2) http://shale.apache.org/

I also see two download section for both, Struts 2 and Shale:

1) http://struts.apache.org/download.cgi#struts206
2) http://apache.rmplc.co.uk/shale/

I did a lot of reading, and I concluded that Struts 2 must be different
from Shale, since Struts2 is based on WebWork2 and Shale is using a JSF
approach.

So, question: Are these the same frameworks? Is Shale a codename for
Struts 2?

Thanx for your reply,
Nic

Re: Struts 2.0.6 != Shale?

Posted by Craig McClanahan <cr...@apache.org>.
On 4/15/07, Nicolas Lanquetin <ni...@lanquetin.biz> wrote:

> So, question: Are these the same frameworks? Is Shale a codename for
> Struts 2?

No, they are not the same.  No, it is not a codename.

The Shale codebase started in a sandbox of the Struts project, and was
proposed to the Struts committers as a basis for "Struts 2".  The
Struts committers chose a different path for that (the merger with
WebWork), and Shale became its own top level project at Apache
(<http://shale.apache.org/>).

Craig

Re: Struts 2.0.6 != Shale?

Posted by Antonio Petrelli <an...@gmail.com>.
2007/4/15, Nicolas Lanquetin <ni...@lanquetin.biz>:
> So, question: Are these the same frameworks? Is Shale a codename for
> Struts 2?

Absolutely not!
Shale is a component-based framework, based on JSF.
Struts 2 is an MVC framework based on WebWork.

Antonio