Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> on 2011/11/28 23:43:35 UTC

[RESULT] [VOTE] rename callback to cordova

The community has approved a rename of the incubation project to Cordova.

Mentors: is the next step to contact infrastructure?

Re: [RESULT] [VOTE] rename callback to cordova

Posted by Jukka Zitting <ju...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

On Mon, Nov 28, 2011 at 11:43 PM, Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io> wrote:
> The community has approved a rename of the incubation project to Cordova.

Good that we have a decision on this!

Just to double check (I might have missed this in earlier discussion,
sorry if I did): Have we verified that "Cordova" meets all (or at
least most of) the criteria in
http://apache.org/dev/project-names.html?

> Mentors: is the next step to contact infrastructure?

Depends on the specific tasks. Here's a quick (and possibly
incomplete) list of places to update:

* Incubator bookkeeping (projects.html, etc.), which can be updated at
least by us mentors and possibly also by any committer (I'm not sure
what the latest access settings are, there was recent discussion about
opening up the rights).

* Mailing lists. This needs to be filed as an INFRA request like
INFRA-4043 [1]. To avoid having the issue be just about renaming
callback-{dev,commits,private} to cordova-{dev,commits,private} (which
infra might find a bit annoying since they just recently set up the
callback lists), we should take the opportunity to also update the set
of list moderators. See [2] for the moderator responsibilities. It's
typically a good idea to have around three moderators per list,
preferably from different time zones. Any volunteers?

* Issue tracker. You should all have admin access to change the name
and other details of the CB project in Jira, but I don't believe the
"CB" key itself can be easily changed. We may need to create a new
Jira project and move all existing issues there. But see my followup
email on issue tracking before we make any decisions here.

* Version control. The Callback name is used in both
github.com/callback and svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/callback.
The latter is easy enough to change and not really used much but the
former may be a bit trickier. If we do get a chance to start hosting
the canonical Git repositories at Apache infra sooner rather than
later, then that might be the best time to rename them.

* Web site. We still don't have a http://incubator.apache.org/callback
site to update, so we can simply set up the site directly with the new
name. I've been a bit blocked on getting started on this (see
INFRA-4045 [3]). Anyone willing to help and/or take over? We also
should make sure that other sites that reference Apache Callback get
updated accordingly.

* Code & Docs. I assume not too much of the codebase and related
documentation was yet updated to refer to Callback instead of
PhoneGap. We should now target Cordova instead.

[2] http://www.apache.org/dev/committers.html#mail-moderate

BR,

Jukka Zitting