Posted to dev@deltacloud.apache.org by Toby Crawley <tc...@redhat.com> on 2010/12/07 15:15:49 UTC

Re: Added name for EC2 instances

On 11/29/2010 10:25 AM, mfojtik@redhat.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For now every single instance in EC2 could have user specified name and this name is also reported throught API. For names I use 'tags',
> which was recently added into EC2. Tag is automaticly created after new instance is created and assigned to that instance. When listing
> instances I'm also list all 'instance' tags and assign name based on tag name.
>
> Unfortunately, this feature is available only in new 'aws' gem, so if you want to try this patch, you need to apply previous EC2 patch
> and then apply this patch on top of that.
>
> -- Michal

Michal:

I played with this patch, and will have to NACK it based on the following issues:

* for the name to show in the AWS console name column, the tag must be 'Name' instead of 'name'

* tagging on instance create does not work, with ec2 reporting that the instance does not exist (in the same manner as the attach ip feature):
08:50:31,129 INFO  [STDOUT] ##### Aws::Ec2 returned an error: 400 Bad Request
08:50:31,130 INFO  [STDOUT] <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
08:50:31,130 INFO  [STDOUT] <Response><Errors><Error><Code>InvalidInstanceID.NotFound</Code><Message>The instance ID 'i-eefbdf83' does not
exist</Message></Error></Errors><RequestID>40fbb385-6cea-4993-b333-21aaebcc5ec7</RequestID></Response> #####

* the tag methods on ec2_driver (tag_instance, untag_instance) could be better named, since they don't handle generic tags, but just the
'name' tag. The tag/untag methods should be generic, and allow for management of any tag on the instance.

Toby

Re: Added name for EC2 instances

Posted by Toby Crawley <tc...@redhat.com>.
On 12/07/2010 09:15 AM, Toby Crawley wrote:
> On 11/29/2010 10:25 AM, mfojtik@redhat.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For now every single instance in EC2 could have user specified name and this name is also reported throught API. For names I use 'tags',
>> which was recently added into EC2. Tag is automaticly created after new instance is created and assigned to that instance. When listing
>> instances I'm also list all 'instance' tags and assign name based on tag name.
>>
>> Unfortunately, this feature is available only in new 'aws' gem, so if you want to try this patch, you need to apply previous EC2 patch
>> and then apply this patch on top of that.
>>
>> -- Michal
>>

> Michal:
>
> I played with this patch, and will have to NACK it based on the following issues:
>
> * for the name to show in the AWS console name column, the tag must be 'Name' instead of 'name'
>
> * tagging on instance create does not work, with ec2 reporting that the instance does not exist (in the same manner as the attach ip feature):

Actually, tagging on create works occasionally, and is probably dependent on the timing of the requests.