Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org> on 2016/03/24 18:32:22 UTC

[DISCUSS] HELP WANTED: Putting Help Wanted on OpenOffice.org

<https://helpwanted.apache.org/wtest.html>

There is a blossoming Help Wanted arrangement that would be very useful for us.

I propose that we set this up.  Also, there are places on Wikis and other places where Help Wanted for the project using specific tags could be provided.

See some of the tags that are already used and are categorized on the main Help Wanted page:
<https://helpwanted.apache.org/>.

The place to start might be with addition of the widget for project="openoffice" on
 <http://openoffice.apache.org/get-involved.html> if not [also] on the home page.

The Help Wanted system is a work in progress.  But it is stable enough to start capturing requests.

It may be a simpler way to obtain community support and further support in non-developer areas.

There are the following types of tasks built-in so far:

   Programming and Development
   Web Design
   Documentation and Guides
   Marketing and Publicity
   Community Outreach
   Translation

There are already the following skill requirements/difficulties:

   Beginner
   Journeyman
   Intermediate
   Expert

Along with a short description of tasks, there can be links to additional details on the particular item and there can be a link to a contributor's guide that is applicable for the effort.

Finally, these tasks can be identified as collaborative and to be done among a group of people, not as solo activities.

I think there are many opportunities to use this as a nice on-ramp for areas we have available for folks to work.

 -- Dennis E. Hamilton
    orcmid@apache.org
    dennis.hamilton@acm.org    +1-206-779-9430
    https://keybase.io/orcmid  PGP F96E 89FF D456 628A
    X.509 certs used and requested for signed e-mail

RE: [DISCUSS] HELP WANTED: Putting Help Wanted on OpenOffice.org

Posted by "Dennis E. Hamilton" <de...@acm.org>.
Recent discussions about help-wanted for Apache OpenOffice bring to mind that we have not taken advantage of this.

It is useful in that it provides a single item (could be on download page and other places) that expands into as mucy coverage as we are willing write items for.

Please take a look.  See what could be done with respect to Documentation and Guides, for example, as well as other activities that we rely on volunteers for.

 - Dennis