Posted to users@spamassassin.apache.org by jj-ml <jj...@fingerprint.fr> on 2005/05/23 09:43:53 UTC

spamd keep growing up in memory size

Hi all,

I am a little worry. I've just install SA 3.03 (perl 5.6.1) with qmail and
maildrop, on a debian stable.
It runs Razor, Pyzor, DCC and URIDNSBL. I use MySQL to store Bayes, awl and
rules.
It is base on a per user config so user1 and user2 doesn't have the same
bayes and awl training.
Everything works fine BUT spamd keeps become bigger and bigger.
When i start it, it take about 31M of memory per child (i get 5) and after a
week, it grows up to 43M of memory.
Is it a problem? Will it grow over and over?

Also, I still have a error message:
Failed to run meta SpamAssassin tests, skipping some: syntax error at (eval
61) line 477, near ") {"
syntax error at (eval 61) line 496, near ";
}"
lint: 1 issues detected.  please rerun with debug enabled for more
information.

Is it related to my problem?

An help would be appreciate.
Thank in advance.

Julien JACQUES

ps:here is my *.cf files:

 99_FVGT_Tripwire.cf
 awl.cf
 backhair.cf
 bayes.cf
 bogus-virus-warnings.cf
 chickenpox.cf
 french_rules.cf
 local.cf
 random.current.cf
 sober_P.cf
 sober_german.cf
 sql.cf

RE: spamd keep growing up in memory size

Posted by jj-ml <jj...@fingerprint.fr>.
Thank for the quick answer Loren.
I'will try the --max-conn-per-child=100 option to see how it work.

Also, i resolve my syntax error just after posting..

Thank

Julien

Re: spamd keep growing up in memory size

Posted by Loren Wilton <lw...@earthlink.net>.
> Everything works fine BUT spamd keeps become bigger and bigger.
> When i start it, it take about 31M of memory per child (i get 5) and after
> week, it grows up to 43M of memory.
> Is it a problem? Will it grow over and over?

Considering the number of add-on rules files, 43M is probably only a little
on the large side.  I would expect it to mostly stabilize at about that
size.  If you aren't starting to run out of memory everything should be
fine.

If you are starting to worry about memory, there ar two things you can do:
1) cut down the number of spamd children, and 2) cut down the number of
messages each child will process before it dies and is reincarnated.  These
are command line coptions to spamd that you can set up.  Typical settings
might be -m 5 to limit to 5 children, and --max-conn-per-child=100 or so, to
limit the number of messages each child will process before dying.

By limiting the number of messages processed, if a child gets a lot of
memory processing some message, it will go away reasonably soon, and a new
child will start, back at the 31M size.

> Also, I still have a error message:
> Failed to run meta SpamAssassin tests, skipping some: syntax error at
(eval
> 61) line 477, near ") {"
> syntax error at (eval 61) line 496, near ";
> }"
> lint: 1 issues detected.  please rerun with debug enabled for more
> information.
>
> Is it related to my problem?

No, but it is a problem you should find and fix.  This isn't a very explicit
error message, but it is saying that there is a problem with a "meta" rule
in one of your rules files.  Try running "spamassassin --lint" and see if
that gives more help.  If not, try "spamassassin -D --lint".  This will spit
out a huge amount of data, and from that I think you can probably determine
the file with the problem.

Alternately, there aren't a huge number of meta tests, so you could just
grep your addon rules and local.cf to find them.  One of them may be fairly
obviously in error, such as no rule text, or a missing parend.

Once you fix the problem, be sure to run --lint again to make sure that
there aren't more problems.

After you get all of the problems fixed, remember to restart spamd so the
rule changes will take effect.

        Loren