Posted to users@wicket.apache.org by Andrew Hall <an...@hotmail.com> on 2011/01/18 21:47:05 UTC

RE: Oracle & Wicket Starter Application Project

Hi,
if anyone is interested, I've ported my Oracle/Wicket starter application to Postgresql.
There is a similar philosophy - the 'one big application user' architecture is rejected - applications users are database users, so that security can be enforced on every tier.
It is at:
https://github.com/andrewah/Wicket---Postgresql-Template
Cheers,
Andrew.
From: andrewah@hotmail.com
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: Oracle & Wicket Starter Application Project
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:14:07 +0000

Hi,
I've put together a project based on Wicket & Oracle which I'd hope could serve as a good starting point for applications based on these 2 technologies.
My background is in writing large applications based upon Oracle & I wrote this to learn about Wicket & Java and also to prove to myself that best practices from the database world - which sadly I've rarely seen implemented in modern web applications! - such as:
- using individual database users to represent real users - giving end-to-end authentication & allowing the use of features such as SQL Trace & fine grained auditing
- using database roles to restrict access to data, and not relying wholly on application enforced security
are compatible with modern web application frameworks. Wicket definitely didn't give me too many headaches!
It's on github at:
https://github.com/andrewah/Wicket---Oracle-Template
It'd be fair to say that some of my Java may not be of the highest standard, so if anyone has the inclination to look at this, any constructive feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers,
Andrew.