Posted to dev@myfaces.apache.org by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de> on 2011/10/26 14:18:59 UTC

[VOTE] extend maximum allowed line length from 120 to 160

Hi!

Currently we have really long and very descriptive variable names in MyFaces.

I personally like that, but due to that we are really often exceeding the 120 character per line.

Thus my question: should we extend this from 120 to 160 characters being allowed per line?

[+1] yup make 160 the max default
[0] don't care
[-1] nope, let's stick with 120

open for 72h ...

Please make use of your vote, because I will activate the checkstyle checks soon ;)

here is my +1.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: [VOTE] extend maximum allowed line length from 120 to 160

Posted by Rudy De Busscher <rd...@gmail.com>.
+0

I'll find 160 much, even with a wide screen.

--
Rudy De Busscher
http://www.c4j.be

Re: [VOTE] extend maximum allowed line length from 120 to 160

Posted by Leonardo Uribe <lu...@gmail.com>.
+0

Posted by Grant Smith <wo...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Michael Kurz <mi...@gmx.at>.
-1

Re: [VOTE] [RESULT] (or so) extend maximum allowed line length from 120 to 160

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi folks!

I actually didn't really count the vote, but as there were a few -1 and a few +0 I'd like to revoke the vote and would say we stick with 120 chars/line.

Which means I'll go on and fix the linebreaks in myfaces-core (*sigh*)

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Volker,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Since I'm not getting warm with the MoinMoin, I just copied to my peoples account

http://people.apache.org/~struberg/apache_myfaces_checkstyle.xml

Mac users need to copy it to:
~/Library/Preferences/IntelliJIdea10/codestyles/apache_myfaces_checkstyle.xml

Linux users to:
~/.IntelliJIdea10/config/codestyles/

LieGrue,
strub

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Michael Kurz <mi...@gmx.at>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Blake Sullivan <bl...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Gerhard Petracek <ge...@gmail.com>.
@80: -1!

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi Mark,

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.

Posted by Werner Punz <we...@gmail.com>.
+1 for 160
-1 for 80, 80 with modern monitors
is way to few, the problem stems from the 80s
where 80 characters was the terminal norm.

Werner

Posted by Volker Weber <v....@inexso.de>.
Hi,