Posted to users@cocoon.apache.org by Bettina Linssen <li...@zeilbeck.de> on 2001/03/13 13:34:08 UTC

unicode, major problem !!!!!

Hi,

I still have a major major major problem by using UNICODE-encoded characters !!

Does anybody has experience with Netscape 4.75 and greek letters ??
Is there any possibility to make it work ??
I think, the problem is Netscape and its bugs, but I do need these characters to be displayed in Netscape 4.75.

I already changed the properties file and the XML/XSL-encoding to UTF-8 or ISO-8859-1 with no difference.
Entities don't work either, because the UNICODE-encoding is the same and is interpreted the same way.

So the problem seems to be, that Cocoon transforms the UNICODE-encoding (eg &#8211;) into the HTML-4-encoding (&ndash;), but Netscape 4.75 just doesn't know what to do with that (different to IE5 or Netscape 6).

Is there any way to tell Cocoon NOT to transform these encodings ??

still hoping
Bettina

Re: unicode, major problem !!!!!

Posted by "Rajkumar, Joseph" <ra...@orionsci.com>.
Hi

    I am also having the very same problem. I would be grateful
if somebody has a fix for this.

Regards
Joseph Rajkumar

Re: unicode, major problem !!!!!

Posted by Sébastien Koechlin <sk...@ivision.fr>.
> Bettina Linssen wrote:

> So the problem seems to be, that Cocoon transforms the
> UNICODE-encoding (eg &#8211;) into the HTML-4-encoding (&ndash;), but
> Netscape 4.75 just doesn't know what to do with that (different to IE5
> or Netscape 6).
>
> Is there any way to tell Cocoon NOT to transform these encodings ??

Yes, of course, it's an open-source project !

It's not Cocoon job, but Xerces.

You can :

1. Ask on a Xerces Mailing list how to solve this.

2. Get Xerces source, edit
	java/src/org/apache/xml/serialize/HTMLEntities.res
   and rebuild xerces.

3. Unzip xerces.jar, edit
	java/src/org/apache/xml/serialize/HTMLEntities.res
   and zip it back into xerces.jar

--
Sébastien Koechlin - IVision - skoechlin@ivision.fr