Posted to dev@kafka.apache.org by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io> on 2018/09/14 18:44:11 UTC

Re: [DISCUSS] KIP-262 Metadata should include the number of state stores for task

Hi,

we recently had a discussion on a different ticket to reduce the size of
the metadata we need to send:

It seems, that we actually don't need to include the number of stores in
the metadata, but that we can compute the number of stores locally on
each instance.

With this insight, we should still try to exploit this knowledge during
task assignment, however, this would be an internal change that does not
require a KIP. Thus, I think that we can discard this KIP.

Thoughts?

-Matthias

Posted by "Matthias J. Sax" <ma...@confluent.io>.
This is still open.

If you agree that we don't need it any longer, please update the wiki
pages accordingly and move the KIP into table "Discarded KIPs":
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/KAFKA/Kafka+Improvement+Proposals#KafkaImprovementProposals-DiscardedKIPs

-Mattias

Posted by Richard Yu <yo...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,