Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Kris Popat <kr...@apache.org> on 2015/09/15 15:08:27 UTC

Looking for a Champion for ORDs

Hello All,

A while back I started a brief discussion about inclubating ORDS (Oxford Research Database System). However, we had a pause in this process over the summer whilst some potential IP issues were sorted out, these have been resolved.

I would like to start looking for a Champion for the project again.

Here is the first section of the proposal which has some adjustments from the previous post.

------
ORDS is a user and project centered, web-based  database-as-a-service (DbaaS) system with data publishing.

ORDS imports data from recognized sources such as csv files, spreadsheets, and relational database files into structured online databases to provide DbaaS functionality. The databases are stored in an RDBMS (PostgreSQL with ORM access). It has a full set of high-level tools for managing and editing these databases, including tools that give users the ability to create versioned snapshots of data and share specific datasets. New databases can also be created using these tools.  Databases are housed in projects and associated with users with given roles. The data can be exported in common formats.
-----

We believe strongly that the ASF would be good place for this project to grow because of it’s tradition of upholding good open source practice.

In brief it is in use by researchers at Oxford and there is a lot of interest in the sector for using it in other institutions.  Promotion of the system is already happening and this should give us a route for getting users, documenters, testers and developers involved.
It is written in Java and uses Tomcat, PostgreSQL though the database can be switched as we use JPA for all db access.

I have worked on the full proposal and can post it on this list if required or will put it on the wiki as and when is appropriate.  I just didn’t want to clog this email with a whole proposal at this stage.

Please let me know if you are interested in Championing this project or know of any member who might be.

Many thanks

Kris Popat

———————————————
Developer | Consultant Researcher

Re: Looking for a Champion for ORDs

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.
Great.

Count me in then.

On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 5:14 PM, Scott Wilson <
scott.bradley.wilson@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On 16 Sep 2015, at 10:49, Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Just to clarify, I intend to help out project since this is a PostgreSQL
> > based project and I have experience in PostgreSQL. Since I am not an IPMC
> > member, I cannot be a mentor, hence just offered to help. I do not intend
> > to code in the project due to time limitations, but would love to help
> out
> > in the necessary areas if I can.
>
> PostgreSQL clustering, configuration and virtualisation is an important
> part of the project, and your advice here will be very helpful - thanks for
> volunteering Atri!
>

> > On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 1:33 PM, Kris Popat <kr...@apache.org>
> wrote:
> >
> >> Thanks Chris, I’ve put the proposal up on the wiki now.
> >> As you suggested it’s at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ORDSProposal
> <
> >> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ORDSProposal>
> >>
> >> Any comments and suggestions are welcome.
> >>
> >> Cheers
> >>
> >> Kris

Atri
*l'apprenant*

Re: Looking for a Champion for ORDs

Posted by Scott Wilson <sc...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kris Popat <kj...@gmail.com>.
Thanks Atri, any help you can give:  advice, testing or just responding to questions as you have the expertise will be gratefully received.

Posted by Kris Popat <kj...@gmail.com>.
Yes, that’s understood

Posted by Atri Sharma <at...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Kris Popat <kr...@apache.org>.
Thanks Chris, I’ve put the proposal up on the wiki now.
As you suggested it’s at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ORDSProposal <http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ORDSProposal>