Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com> on 2005/09/06 19:25:11 UTC

Very bad performance

I'm doing more testing on my newly converted repository (25,000
revisions, not 19,000 as I said earlier).

Right now it's running a checkout via svnserve.  That was running
nicely for a while.  But right now it has slowed to a crawl -- about
30 seconds per file, doing small files.  svnserve seems to be idle,
there is hardly any disk traffic -- nothing at all to explain why this
is happening.  Server is on Mac OS 10.4.2, client on NetBSD.

Any ideas?  Should I try a BerkeleyDB based repository?

    paul

Re: Very bad performance

Posted by Paul Koning <pk...@equallogic.com>.

 Ryan> In addition to the issue Stephen mentioned, there is a
 Ryan> performance issue on some operating systems when APR is
 Ryan> compiled to use /dev/ random instead of
 Ryan> /dev/urandom. Unfortunately I believe this is the default, as
 Ryan> it's how it ended up on my system when I installed Subversion
 Ryan> via DarwinPorts:

 Ryan> $ cd /opt/local/lib $ grep /dev/random libapr-0.0.dylib Binary
 Ryan> file libapr-0.0.dylib matches $ grep /dev/urandom
 Ryan> libapr-0.0.dylib $

 Ryan> I do not know if Mac OS X is affected by the problem, but if
 Ryan> you find that your APR also uses /dev/random, you can try
 Ryan> changing it. There's a switch you pass to the ./configure
 Ryan> program to tell it which source of entropy to use.

I couldn't find any switch for that, but the Mac manpages says it does
not implement that bug.

    paul

Re: Very bad performance

Posted by Stephen Davis <st...@mac.com>.
On Sep 6, 2005, at 1:43 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Sep 6, 2005, at 21:25, Paul Koning wrote:
>

>> I'm doing more testing on my newly converted repository (25,000
>> revisions, not 19,000 as I said earlier).
>>
>> Right now it's running a checkout via svnserve.  That was running
>> nicely for a while.  But right now it has slowed to a crawl -- about
>> 30 seconds per file, doing small files.  svnserve seems to be idle,
>> there is hardly any disk traffic -- nothing at all to explain why
>> this
>> is happening.  Server is on Mac OS 10.4.2, client on NetBSD.
>>
>> Any ideas?  Should I try a BerkeleyDB based repository?
>>

> I can't recommend that.
>
> Mac OS X should be very capable of serving or using Subversion
> repositories.
>
> In addition to the issue Stephen mentioned, there is a performance
> issue on some operating systems when APR is compiled to use /dev/
> random instead of /dev/urandom. Unfortunately I believe this is the
> default, as it's how it ended up on my system when I installed
> Subversion via DarwinPorts:
>
> $ cd /opt/local/lib
> $ grep /dev/random libapr-0.0.dylib
> Binary file libapr-0.0.dylib matches
> $ grep /dev/urandom libapr-0.0.dylib
> $
>
> I do not know if Mac OS X is affected by the problem, but if you
> find that your APR also uses /dev/random, you can try changing it.
> There's a switch you pass to the ./configure program to tell it
> which source of entropy to use. If your copy of APR is built
> specially for Subversion, then you can pass this option to
> Subversion's ./configure and it'll pass it on to APR. Else pass the
> switch to APR's ./configure directly when you build it.

Mac OS X is not affected by the /dev/random issue.

stephen

Re: Very bad performance

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.