Posted to marketing@cloudstack.apache.org by Madan Ganesh Velayudham <ma...@actonmagic.com> on 2016/04/28 07:09:33 UTC

OpenStack Revenues Approaching $3.4B: 451 Research

Greetings,

Just bumped onto this article, thought of sharing:

http://www.eweek.com/cloud/openstack-revenues-approaching-3.4b-451-research.html

<snip>
The decision to turn over OpenStack to a foundation in 2012 stands in
contrast to the CloudStack platform and its parent, Citrix. Citrix donated
<http://www.serverwatch.com/server-news/citrix-walks-away-from-openstack-moves-to-apache-cloudstack.html>
CloudStack to the Apache Software Foundation, but it was never set up with
the same true, multi-stakeholder, stand-alone foundation as OpenStack's.

"If Citrix would have done a foundation around CloudStack, *we would now be
at a Cloudstack Summit, not OpenStack Summit*," Sadowski said." Sadowski
said.
<snip>

The bold highlighted line was hurting a little bit!

Cheers,
Madan

--
Madan Ganesh Velayudham
Founder & CEO

*Cloud Governance, Analytics, Management Simplified with ActOnCloud!*
www.actonmagic.com

Re: OpenStack Revenues Approaching $3.4B: 451 Research

Posted by Daan Hoogland <da...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 11:24 PM, Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> OpenStack RM(s).  That is not my version of fun.  :)

​having fun, sadist?​

--
Daan

Re: OpenStack Revenues Approaching $3.4B: 451 Research

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.
Haha.  Ya, I don't envy OpenStack RM(s).  That is not my version of fun.  :)

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nux! <nu...@li.nux.ro>.
If

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Posted by Ian Rae <ir...@cloudops.com>.
Agreed Steve!

I believe June Collab will see participicants work on launching a
CloudStack marketing alliance.

Citrix was in an awkward situation (series of unfortunate events shall
we say?) and was unable to get it done, but I just think that proves my
point that sometimes it is easier to get things done if you are not a large
disrupted enterprise IT vendor or otherwise under the control of one.

Ian

--
Ian Rae
CEO | PDG

CloudOps | Cloud Infrastructure and Networking Solutions
www.cloudops.com | 420 rue Guy | Montreal | Canada | H3J 1S6

Re: OpenStack Revenues Approaching $3.4B: 451 Research

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
> On Apr 28, 2016, at 7:03 PM, Steve Wilson <st...@citrix.com> wrote:
>
> I agree that CloudStack works and is great technology.  However, OpenStack won the marketing war because their foundation was set up to do so.  All attempts that Mark Hinkle and others made to pull together a real marketing alliance to promote CloudStack as an industry initiative seemed to run afoul of Apache rules/processes/organization.

The decision to donate the software to Apache, was Citrix’s decision.
And Apache is not a marketing alliance operating for the benefit of its sponsoring companies.

Apache operates for the public good.

If that’s what Citrix wanted to do, they should not have given Cloudstack to ASF in the first place.

That said Cloudera and Hortonworks and Datastax and other companies have successfully built great businesses on top of Apache software. Too bad Citrix did not manage it.

End of story

Posted by Steve Wilson <st...@citrix.com>.

From: Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>>
Date: Thursday, April 28, 2016 at 7:39 AM
To: "marketing@cloudstack.apache.org<ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>" <ma...@cloudstack.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: OpenStack Revenues Approaching $3.4B: 451 Research

www.actonmagic.com<http://www.actonmagic.com/>

Re: OpenStack Revenues Approaching $3.4B: 451 Research

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
On 4/28/16 12:53 PM, Sebastien Goasguen wrote:

>> On Apr 28, 2016, at 5:07 PM, Sunando Bhattacharya <su...@indiqus.com> wrote:
>>
>> I really don’t know on what basis we are saying that openstack doesn’t work… $3.4Bill of revenues !!!
>
> So I am of the opinion that “openstack works” just because some friends at CERN have it working.…
>
> But $3.4B of revenues is just pure bullocks …..
>
> Except if you equate IBM and HP cloud business as Openstack revenues.
>

>> Fact is openstack is production-grade and catching up fast on most counts with ACS, and actually ahead on some features like NFV.
Have you seen Nuage implementation of NFV with CloudStack? If not, its
worth trying it out.

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.

Posted by ilya <il...@gmail.com>.
Well summarized!

Posted by Ian Rae <ir...@cloudops.com>.

Posted by Jules-Henri Gavetti <jh...@ikoula.com>.
Hello,

On the French Market :
1 year ago every body talk about OpenStack.
Now nobody care.
Why because a lot of big company lost a huge amount of money in POC

CloudStack is business ready.
We see more and more ISV build plugin for Cloudstack

In the 3.4 billion you have hardware, software and consulting.

HP sell Openstack with his hardware and mix the revenue.
Every Openstack supplier do that.

3.4 billion doesn't really exist !

A bient?t

Jules

Le 28 avr. 2016 ? 17:50, Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>> a ?crit :

[http://newsletter.indiqus.in/icons2/blogger.png] <https://www.indiqus.com/blog>   [http://newsletter.indiqus.in/icons2/linkedin.png]  <https://www.linkedin.com/company/indiqus-technologies-pvt-ltd->   [http://newsletter.indiqus.in/icons2/twitter.png]  <https://twitter.com/INDIQUS>   [http://newsletter.indiqus.in/icons2/google-plus.png]  <https://plus.google.com/+Indiqus_technologies/about>   [http://newsletter.indiqus.in/icons2/facebook.png]  <https://www.facebook.com/indiqus>

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.
I don't want to come across as anti-OpenStack because I am not.  We use
some components of OpenStack.  The problem I see is that everyone investing
in OpenStack has to prove its value, which has resulted in extensive smoke
and mirrors.  Because of this many companies have invested heavily
in OpenStack adoption, but many of these projects fail once they get into
the nuts and bolts.

In contrast, CloudStack hardly has the marketing funds to present the
basics to the market.  While this has its own problems, when people choose
CloudStack, they know what they are getting.  It is feature rich while
still being manageable in size and scope, making it viable for companies at
any scale.

It is also worth pointing out that OpenStack and CloudStack are not solving
the same problems.  CloudStack solves for a subset of
what OpenStack (claims to) solve for.  I think the scope of what OpenStack
has tried to solve for is one of the reasons it has become so hard to adopt.

OpenStack will continue to be a contender simply due to the massive amount
of money invested into it.  At some point in the future it will likely be a
viable option for medium to large companies, but that is not the case yet.
We will see how the next 5 years play out...

Posted by Erik Weber <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Yim, Philip" <Ph...@alliedtelesis.com>.

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Will Stevens <wi...@gmail.com>.